We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

England
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

I'm visiting in June and am touring various places, travelling mainly by air as I find driving away from home on busy roads quite stressful. I am thinking of flying into Charlotte and renting a car to drive to Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Can anyone give me some advice on how difficult this will be? I have driven in the Canadian Rockies but am nervous of very busy and complicated road junctions.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

It is about an hour and a half to two hour drive. Mostly on major highways with no intersections (just exit ramps). Should not be too stressful. I'd recommend going I-85 then I-26.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

Once you get on 26 near Flat Rock, you will have a few relatively steep inclines and declines until you get past Hendersonville (15-20 minutes of driving). Other than that, it's relatively easy interstate driving. Total drive from Charlotte to Asheville is 2 hours.....agree, 85 to 26.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
865 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

Super easy drive, no worries. The above directions are good. I-85 to I-26. 2 hours roughly. Enjoy.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

You might like to do a virtual "drive" of at least part of the route in the StreetView mode of Google Maps. Luckily Charlotte airport is on the west side of the city and getting from the car rental depot area to I-85 is fairly straightforward. If you don't like driving on interstates then there are US highways that you could use instead.

NC
Level Contributor
458 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

I suggest a different route ( I drive this a lot). Take I-85 to Gastonia- then take 321 north to I-40 and 40 into Asheville. MUCH better and quicker. I-26 between the state line and A-Ville is a mess.Lots of wrecks around Saluda and Hendersonville. It's a pretty drive but crazy drivers. Best wishes.

6. Re: Driving Charlotte to Asheville - is it stressful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 17, 2015