We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Monroe

burnley lancs
Level Contributor
296 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Monroe

We will be driving to Monroe at about 830 pm after a flight from the uk. We seem to have the option of the 74 or the 485 and the 74. Not much difference in time or distance but can you advise on the advantages of one route over the other.

Thanks for any help

Charlotte
Level Contributor
685 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Monroe

It's sort of a toss-up, but taking 485 will allow you to avoid some of the traffic lights on Independence Blvd (74). While they are doing some construction on 485, it shouldn't be a problem for you at that time of night.

NC
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Monroe

Take 485

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Monroe

burnley lancs
Level Contributor
296 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Monroe

Thanks everyone for the help. I think we were leaning to the 485 so looks like that's the way.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Monroe

BTW, in this part of the US we don't say "the" 485. That's a Californiaism. Most of the rest of the country just says the road number w/o a leading article, or you might say "the 485 bypass" or I-95, but not "the 95" or "the 485". Doesn't matter at all, just makes you sound like you're from Southern California where they get on "the 405".

burnley lancs
Level Contributor
296 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Monroe

Thanks for the tip on the coloquism, we will try and remember when discussing what road to take. Having said that we are from Lancashire in the uk and we would say we're going on t'motorway !

I guess having been to California several times we must be picking up the slang.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Monroe

We might say we're getting on the interstate, Interstate 95, I-95, or just 95. But we'll know what you mean if you throw a "the" in there. Just sounds a little Californian.

8. Re: Airport to Monroe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 09, 2015