We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Hi, I'm starting to plan a Deep South tour for next year and have been looking at flight options from the UK.

We want to start our tour heading towards Charleston & Savannah so I was wondering about landing at either Charlotte or Atlanta international airport. I will also ask in the Atlanta forum.

All the road trip itineraries I've been reading start/end in Atlanta - why would this be??

We aren't really big city people but do like to have a look at the place we land for a couple of days to recover so which city would be better for our start?

Sell me your city please!

Thanks

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
824 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

May is a beautiful time in Charlotte and the surrounding areas. I suggest a day or so in Asheville, a visit to the Biltmore Estate and the mountains of western North Carolina, a trip to Charleston is certainly great, if you like NASCAR, take in the World 600 race and the NASCAR museum, White Water Rafting nearby, etc. The humidity will not be a problem in May and normally good weather in terms of rainfall.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

May is usually lovely! Can start to be a bit warm (normal is upper 70s F, but it can, and has, gotten up to 90F), and not too rainy. The roses are usually blooming then, too and sometimes the magnolias and hydrangeas are blooming by late May. I'd especially encourage you to visit the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont if you stay a day or so in Charlotte. Only about a 15-20 min. drive from uptown or about 10 from the airport. The NC mountains would also be beautiful then. The rhododendrons might still be in bloom, as well as some of the flowering trees. Asheville is a great base for seeing the Blue Ridge mountain area. As Tarheel37 said, if you are here around our Memorial Day (last Monday in May), you could take in the big Charlotte NASCAR race at Charlotte Motor Speedway- just be aware that you'll want to make your hotel reservations early. There are also extra activities in the uptown area that whole week - it's called Speed Street. They close off some of the main streets and there are special booths, vendors, concerts, etc.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Quite hot, but the evenings are bearable. Right now: 24 C 10am. Usually the hotest time of the day is not the noon like in Europe, but about 3-4pm... Just google:

weather in Charlotte now in Celsius

RE: airfares: just sign up for specials; I expect the best fares will come up when the total merger with American is announced... when theier planes will just show American... It happened when NorthWest merged with Delta. BTW. sign up for Delta's specials, usually the cheapest via JFK to CLT; Atlanta's direct fares are higher.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
824 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Actually the average temp. for Charlotte this time of year is 89 but we have had ups and downs more this year than normal. I have seen it very cool in May and rather hot as well yet when you look at temps. for southern cities you will find that Charlotte is far better than most and with less severe storms.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Actually rhododendrons typically bloom in June in the mountains, but other flowers will be blooming in the mountains then and it's well worth a day trip or overnight there. Consider going to Asheville or Blowing Rock/Boone. Both areas are about 2 hrs from Charlotte.

Edited: 12:31 pm, June 04, 2014
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Usually you can expect pretty hot temps in late May, but often more warm, rather than hot temps in early May. It could go either way, though. Unlikely you would need more than the lightest sweater for an unseasonable cool evening. Usually shorts and t-shirts and sandals would be fine for any day in May and for most evenings, too.

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
653 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

Another thing you could think about, which could save some money. Most of the car rental places are a lot cheaper if you rent off airport and do the local editions. I can't tell you how to get from the airport to the local edition, but if there is one close, it may save a lot of money in taxes and fees. There are a lot of coupon codes online, so you may want to do some searching. There is also a big coupon book called the Entertainment Guide which sells for pretty cheap here out of season (usually goes on sale in November and drops to $10 in April or so). There are a ton of good coupons in there, including rental cars.

May will depend. Can be hotter than heck, storming, or cool. Really no way to tell. You will usually at least get weather in the 60's, if not 70's or sometimes 80's, but that is rare. Usually won't be below 60, maybe at night. Sun goes down pretty late in May, 8-8:30pm or so.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

I just LOLed as the choice is simple.

This is easy, you HAVE to pick Charlotte over Atlanta. Atlanta's airport can be an absolute nightmare even on a bright beautiful sunny day. Charlotte can have its moments, but in the big scheme of things, take CLT. Could be a little more driving, but if some delay happens at ATL, you are toast!

29. Re: Charlotte vrs Atlanta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, July 14, 2015