We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
4 posts
Save Topic
Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

I am flying from Minneapolis to Birmingham, AL. I have a connection in Charlotte. The airline is US Airways. I am carrying on everything. I have to get from terminal B to Terminal E. My options are to either have a 37 minute layover or have a 3 hour layover. This is my first flight with a connection. Please help! Also, I'm 15 & flying alone. Do I need ID to board? Will I have to go through security at Charlotte? Thanks in advance.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

I would rather take the 3 hour, than the 37 minutes. If you are late out of MSP, you could have a problem. The flights are so full these days, it can be difficult to catch the next flight!

No security in CLT. You will be in and will stay in the passenger transit zone. YES, you will need a form of identification. Picture ID, driver learners license, passport. Some thing with a picture.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

Hey, Lance, welcome to the forum.

I agree with queeni. The Charlotte airport is easy to navigate, but you won't want to rush and be nervous. You'll give your ID when you go through security in Minneapolis. You won't have to show it again, but you need to keep up with your boarding pass. If you feel uncomfortable, find a US Airways person and ask for help.

Good for you for flying alone. Bring your iPad. :D

Minneapolis...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

I thought you didn't need ID until you were 18.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

You will need some picture ID. I suggest calling US Airways and ask them what identification is needed for an 15 year old. Rather safe than sorry!!!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

Only passengers over 18 need ID per TSA requirements. I have no idea how they determine you're under 18 without proof of age though.

I'd also take the 3 hr layover to be safe. There's good gelato at the airport.

NC
Level Contributor
839 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

You need to check with US Airways to see what they are going to require for you, if anything. Some airlines require a birth certificate. Also, the adult dropping you off will be required to show a photo ID. They cannot just drop you off and leave you on your own to check-in since you are under 18.

We have connections in CLT all the time (we always fly out of Raleigh & have a connection in CLT--stupid, I know), and I never book a flight that has less than an hour to catch the connecting flight. It has taken us nearly 30 minutes before to deboard the plane and get to the terminal we needed to be in for the connecting flight. You do not want to be 15 and miss your flight and be stranded. Definitely book the one with a 3 hr layover. Trust me--you will be glad you did!!

Minneapolis...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

I was at BHM a few months ago and I just told the person that I was 15 and I didn't have to show anything. However that was Delta and I had an adult with me. So I was just wondering.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

Assuming you print your boarding pass at home you shouldn't have to show USAirways anything other than your boarding pass when you get on the plane. Security in Minneapolis is the only place they're going to look for ID and since you're under 18 it isn't really required.

Not sure if you'll be able to print your boarding pass at home as it's an unaccompanied minor ticket though.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,456 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

He will still have to clear security on the flight in CLT. They want an ID and boarding pass. MSP has 3 or 4 security stops that are all alike, just in different locations.

NC
Level Contributor
839 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 37 minutes enough layover time at Charlotte

Have you called US Airways to see what you will need? That is really what you need to do.