We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover in Charlotte

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long layover in Charlotte

I am travelling to Rome in June with my mother and daughters. We have a 7 hour layover in Charlotte. Is there anywhere relatively close that we could take a cab to for lunch and some sightseeing while we are there? Thanks.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

Either a cab or Sprint bus to downtown (here called Uptown). Fox & hound has good lunches, just walking around or visiting Behtler museum would be nice. I assume you have about 5 hours, as you need to be back @ the airport for your CLT/ROM flight...

Sprinter: charmeck.org/city/…sprinter.aspx

Links to Bus Route 5 - bottom of the page gives the schedule. $2/per person = the current fare, I think.

Taxi: $30 or less - might be even better; check your luggage through to Rome, so that you only have hand luggage.

http://www.bechtler.org/

Useful tip from my friends:self-guided tour, (2nd link) ...I am not sure if you are interested in Segways tour - your daughters?

http://www.charlottenctours.com/

artsandscience.org/programs-a-services/publi…

===

If you are religious, then: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49022-d87…

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

And maybe by June, the Metalmorphosis will be working again... there are a few restaurants not that far from it; you would have to take a cab.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g49022-d18…

forum update (Tom)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g49022-i291-k60509…

There are at least 15 videos on Youtube how it used to be, here is my favorite with music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGCln17yUn0

Edited: 10:24 am, March 07, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

Thanks so much!!

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
633 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

Just note the airport does not have any lockers, so you will need to take any bags with you (this is a big drag). I would take a cab to save yourself some time since it's slightly limited. Traffic can get really gnarly getting back to the airport during rush hour, so also depends on the time of your layover. You could go right to Trade and Tryon and do some walking and grab a bite to eat and cab it back. Safe travels!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

If bags checked through & both boarding passes obtained, the above message by Redhead would apply only to hand luggage.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

We will have our carryons with us. Our layover is from about 10am to 6pm. Thought we would just grab some lunch somewhere and do a little shopping, heading back to the airport in the afternoon. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
646 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

If you just want lunch and a little shopping, then I'd consider the Southpark Mall area. It's only a mall, but a nice, upscale one, with many good restaurant options nearby. Not much further from airport than downtown. Not much shopping available downtown.

8. Re: Long layover in Charlotte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 20, 2014