We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
797 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

Looks like I will need to travel to Charlotte for a face to face interview with a downtown company in the very near future.

Hubby would like us to drive down ahead of time a take a couple days to check out Charlotte and the surrounding area. We'd have less than 3 days to look around.

Where do you think we should stay in Charlotte to look around while we are there to get a good flavor of the city? What should we focus on?

This would be our first major move - what area do you think we should look at?? We prefer to live out of the city but don't know how bad rush hour would be. Schools aren't an issue as are kids are nearly through college.

NC
Level Contributor
496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

Not trying to be snarky...but the post is too broad for a helpful reply. Charlotte is large and diverse. TA frowns on relocation posts so not sure they will even keep this open. People get easily offended if you " diss" their favorite part of town. :) Rush hours are bad from any direction. In a nut shell - south side is the most affluent, west and east side have the most violent crime , north side is a mix - with horrible commutes on I-77 in any direction. 485 in the south is a parking lot during rush hour. If you stay uptown during your visit, you won't get a "feel" for Charlotte- it's facade ( UNLESS you are going to work uptown as you stated, then you need to see the amenities and atmosphere). But- either there or the Southpark area are the places I'd recommend to stay. If this was a private message, I'd say more - but I'll probably get a rebuttal on what I've said so far...so I'll just say - best wishes to you.

Edited: 8:10 am, February 24, 2013
Mentioned in this post
SouthPark
SouthPark
186 Reviews
Charlotte, NC
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,739 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

I'd stay in uptown. Check out the Hilton Garden Inn uptown and the Hampton uptown. Then checkout the small town of Belmont- just over the river (I-85 south) in Gaston County and about a 15-20 min. commute from uptown. Traffic can get a bit heavy, but usually moves well. You'd be well possitioned for the region in a lovley small town withe easy access to major highways.

What is your hotel budget and your housing budget? Knowing those would help us give you better, more specific suggesstions.

And to address the first post- while the east and west sides do have small pockets of 'crime areas', there are also some very nice neighborhoods there. Charlotte is a great city, well positioned weather-wise and travel-wise.

I've lived here for almost 50 years. Feel free to private message me.

Mentioned in this post
Belmont
Belmont
North Carolina
Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

If you want to get some ideas as to what to do while you are here, I write a travel blog and have quite a few post on Charlotte. I live here and have a friend who visits once a year. I always try to do something different when he comes down. It may not help you decide where to live but it might give you some ideas. At the very least, you'll find a few restaurant suggestions. Go to journeysbyjill.com and poke around the Charlotte posts.

Goo luck with the trip and the possible new adventure!

5. Re: Planning to drive down for a quick 3 day visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 03, 2014