We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pros/cons

Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
pros/cons

Hello-My wife and I are relocating to the Charlotte area hopefully by September. We are in our late 20's w/ no children (yet). I have been reading most of the posts in reference to relocating and I have a few questions.

My wife will be working in Rock Hill, while I will be working in Gastonia. Ideally, we would prefer to be in SC. Where is a good "halfway point" to look for apartments? We will be renting initially to get a feel for the areas.

We would prefer to be within a reasonable distance of parks, jogging trails, etc...

How about the nightlife? It seems that after reading posts the city shuts down @ night. We don't base our lives on nightlife, however, now and then it is nice to go out and enjoy a good evening of music, dancing, etc...Are the SC areas surrounding Charlotte (Fort Mill/Tega Cay) descent size cities? By that I mean, do they have a downtown or is it more of a neighborhood city? Do people have to go to "uptown" to do everything? Also, we are big boaters and would love to live on a lake eventually. What price would we have to pay for lakefront or lake access property?

Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pros/cons

Good luck on your move. Regarding your questions... As for Fort Mill or Tega Cay, both are small cities with a limited downtown shopping area. I can't think of any big apartment complexes there but there are some small places. Most people that live in these two cities work in Charlotte. Both cities are growing so if you ended up buying, you would do well. Tega Cay has a nice lake. South Charlotte or Southwest Charlotte is another idea - something close to I-485 and I-77 which could accomodate both of you for an apartment, shopping, nighlife but you will not have a lake. As for night life, you will not find that in Tega Cay or Fort Mill, most places with music and dancing are in downtown Charlotte. I would not recommend Gastonia - fine to work in but not for someone in their 20's to live or you will be bored.

Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pros/cons

Thanx browneyedgal! Does the Fort Mill/South Charlotte area have numerous parks, jogging trails, etc...Specifically areas where you can walk the dog and play a little frisby? We were narrowing our choices down to Austin, TX and Charlotte. Charlotte is where we have decided for career reasons. The distinct thing about Austin was the numerous parks and trails everywhere. Austin had a plethora of outdoor activities and we are hoping Charlotte offers the same. We were in Charlotte in late December and we really couldn't get a solid idea of outdoor activities considering the time of year. Thanks again for all your help.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pros/cons

Both Fort Mill and South Charlotte have parks, sidewalks, and outdoor areas to enjoy. Not sure where you are relocating from but the weather is great in NC/SC- Warmer winters, rarely snows and if it does it melts that day, warm spring, hot summer.

Austin is a nice city too.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
92 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pros/cons

They are correct about Tega Cay and Ft. Mill. If you wanted to stay in SC that is your best bet. They are also close to Lake Wylie. There are 3 lakes in Charlotte and Lake Norman is the most expensive, Lake Wylie is quickly becoming expensive and Mountain Island Lake is reasonable and closer to Gastonia but not as much to SC.

There is good nightlife in Charlotte but mostly in the Uptown area. You have to know where to look. There are things to do in the Rock Hill/Baxter area but not as much. A lot of the newer neighborhoods are building walking trails and such. There are some nice county and city parks around Charlotte. If you are interested in price ranges of lake homes ask my wife Susan who is a realtor I do not know other than a ballpark. susan@kwcharlotte.com