We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Charlotte

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
244 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Charlotte

We will be arriving in Charlotte on Saturday before E aster. Looking for ideas for day trips from Charlotte.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

What age people in your group? What are your interests? How far out of Charlotte are you interested in driving? Lots to do in and around the area; knowing more about your group/family, etc. would help with recommendations. :)

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

I agree - too many possibilities...have to know more.

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

Group of 6; parents and kids in their 20's. We are going to be arriving noonish on Saturday and staying through Monday morning. Sunday is Easter so I'm assuming not much open that day. Thank you.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,843 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

I think you come to the Blowing Rock- Boone are in the mountains. A 2 hour drive. Since it is an early Spring, the mountains have lots of color and beautiful views.

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.grandfather.com

www.southernhighlandguild.org

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

Take 77 North to Yadkin Valley and visit some of the vineyards....especially Raffaldini.

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
658 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

You are correct, a lot is closed on Easter, I keep learning that lesson the hard way as I don't celebrate the holiday and try and "go out" to find it's pretty vacant out there. There are a lot of good trips within a few hours of CLT, depends how far you'd like to drive. The other posters mentioned quite a few great things to do during the week, if you let us know where you are staying and how far you'd be willing to travel I'm sure we can find out more.

If you do want to find something to do for Easter, that won't be closed, we do have a Greenway system throughout the city which is open every day. You can walk through trails, some over creeks and enjoy the outdoors. Movie theaters should be open as well. Freedom Park is great as well, and open 365!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

I suggest Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden in Belmont - just across the river from Charlotte. It will be open that weekend.

Webster, New York
Level Contributor
244 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I can't wait to look everything up and see what fits best for our trip.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

A lot of great suggestions. My family particularly loves spending time in the Boone/Blowing Rock area; Grandfather Mountain and the Blue Ridge Parkway are spectacular in the Spring.

If you decide on staying near Charlotte/ the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden option, there are a few other gems near Belmont that you could add....

-Billy Graham Library and grounds- http://www.billygrahamlibrary.org/ -open Saturday;not Sunday

-U.S. Whitewater Center- lots of activities both on and off the water http://www.usnwc.org/ -open everyday

-Crowders Mountain State Park- our own local mountain; 30 minutes from Charlotte- www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/main.php -open everyday

Edited: 9:52 am, April 03, 2012
NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Charlotte

Sunsher - I want to invite you to my church on Easter Sunday - we have two services 9:00 am and 10:45 - http://www.calvarychurch.com/site/index.cfm

We'd love to have you and you will be warmly welcomed. You will hear glorious music and one of the world's largest pipe organs. Come join the thousands who will gather at Calvary Church that day. :)