We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and from the airport

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to and from the airport

Apologies as I'm sure this question has been asked (and answered) many a time but I cannot find it on a search. But what are the best ways to get from and to the airport. I am arriving very early morning (6/7ish) and need to be back by about 5pm. What are my options. If a taxi is the best option what sort of cost am I looking at? I would be going to central Charlotte (unless anyone has got better ideas!)

Indian Trail, North...
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
844 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and from the airport

Not too sure, but the last time I rented a car it was 23.00 for 24 hours - that would be much cheaper than a taxi. :)

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and from the airport

City bus does run from the airport to center city. Allow plenty of time. Taxi is the most expensive. I am sure some shuttle companies run those as well.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and from the airport

Sprinter bus is the cheapest & quite convenient.

Excellent service; inexpensive... It's gaining popularity. When it started, it was used mainly by UK & German tourists.. Now - they even increased the frequency....(20 minutes during weekdays and every 30 minutes during nights and weekends. )

see the website & download the schedule...

charmeck.org/city/…sprinter.aspx

Sprinter= Bus No. 5 - that is the one bud41 refers to...

charmeck.org/city/…default.aspx

I think it is still $1.75 though rumor is that it will increase to $2. Still, much better value than $23-25 taxi...or more?

Forget car rental; not cheap in CLT & parking costs can be high...

I would take the sprinter, have a nice breakfast or early lunch & visit Bechtler and/or another museum...(Unless you have another reason for the layover...)

Edited: 10:19 am, February 02, 2012
Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and from the airport

Excellent. Thanks for the answers.

Lacey, Washington
Destination Expert
for Charlotte
Level Contributor
630 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and from the airport

I would say it depends on where in the city you are heading and at what time. The rental shuttles are off-site, but not like in huge cities, is literally a block down the street. Agree that rentals can be quite high and the taxes are what gets you. The cost for a cab will depend on whether you go inside the city of Charlotte (I-277) or outside the loop.

6. Re: Getting to and from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, May 17, 2013