We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An honest comparison of Union County schools vs Northeast...

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
An honest comparison of Union County schools vs Northeast...

Hi,

We were all set on relocating to the Charlotte area 2 years ago, but it never happened for various reasons. Now our neighbors have just purchases a home in Cabarrus County for an unreal amount and it has us reconsidering the move big time, as we live on Long Island and we will never be able to afford a home here since I am a SAHM.

I'm trying to figure out if the Union County schools, especially the Weddington area ones, that are so highly rated really compare favorably to the schools here on Long Island. Since I know that many of you have reocated from this area I would love to hear your opinions. Schools are the most important factor in making our final decision, and we most likely can not afford private schools, so the area that we choose must have an excellent educational system.

Thanks

Laura

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: An honest comparison of Union County schools vs Northeast...

Hi Laura,

I have not made the move yet to Union County but I have been there on a fact finding mission and have done tons of research on the internet about the area, schools, etc. So many people on the forum have done the same research and I think feel the same way as I do. I feel after visiting the Weddington Schools that they would be great for my kids. Even though school scores are important I feel other things are equally important like an affordable home in a nice community, fellow transplants in the same boat to share a kinship with, an area that is growing but still maintains a rural feel and so on. I don't think you can go wrong. That is how I feel. Your kids will adapt and enjoy things that LI can't give them. And you and your husband can have an easier life money wise with lower taxes and less stress of the hustle and bustle of keeping up with the Joneses on LI. Good schools, definately a plus, but other factors should be considered as well. The only thing holding us up is my husband finding a job. Once he does, I'll be on the next plane to NC and won't look back!I'm sure others who have made the move already can help you out more than me and I'm sure you will get lots of responses! Good luck with your adventure.

bje
Waxhaw, NC
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: An honest comparison of Union County schools vs Northeast...

Hey Laura,

My daughter goes to Union schools and I am a byproduct of northeastern education. I would highly recommend the schools in the western part of the county. Ofcourse it is like all schools and I think your children receive a better education if the parents are involved. Whether that means volunteering in the classroom or going over their nightly homework. Good luck, Barb

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: An honest comparison of Union County schools vs Northeast...

Thank you both so much for your replies. This board is proving very helpful.