We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from fact finding in Union County!!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Back from fact finding in Union County!!

Hey guys, I am back (boo hoo). My trip was fabulous!! I loved what I saw and did tons of research so feel free to ask me questions and I hope I can help some one. My trip focused on the subdivisions in my price range which is 300,000-400,000. I was with my realtor for 5 hours looking at different areas and models. For now I wanted to narrow down places that I liked. I ruled ones out that did not have a pool or tennis courts, that were too far for a commute to Charlotte and ones that I did not get that warm fuzzy feeling. Out of 15, yes, 15 subdivisions I narrowed my search down to Somerset, Hunter Oaks, Quellin, The Reserve and a brand new development that they just broke ground on called Lawson. There is also a new one called Prescott but for some reason I did not like it. FYI, I was told to stay away from Ryland Builders hearing that some of there homes had mold issues!! And also to stay away from Lennar for some reason. This was by my realtor and others. I drove around the area for 4 days. There is tons of shopping developments with any store you would need. So I was happy about that. It is not like you are out in the boonies. The area is really being developed but still has the integrity of a small town feel. No huge malls but one level outdoor ones with courtyards to sit, tons of restaurants and the nicest people I ever met. The South Park Mall is like an upscale Roosevelt Field Mall ( for all you New Yorkers!) Charlotte was like a mini clean NYC with tall buildings, outdoor cafes and restaruants and clubs. I found it a little confusing getting around especially at night. I had to have my map handy at all time. As far as the schools, I decided I only wanted Weddington but the down side is that after visiting and touring the school it is extremely overcrowded (which I had heard before I left). There are 30 - 35 kids in a classroom! There are also alot of parent volunteers to help out with the lack of staff and overflow of kids. A new kid might get "lost" in that kind of atmosphere and that was a big concern of mine. On the flip side they are building a new state of the art high school on Crane Rd. which will ease the crowding but it won't be completed until 2007. I heard that if you live west of Providence Rd. (rt 16) that will be zoned for the new school but anything can change at any time. So over all I am ready to pack my bags once hubby finds a job!!I came back to 3 kids who are very upset that I actually liked NC and have made up my mind that there is no turning back!!Now I have to think of some bribes to make them as happy as I think they will be living there.Perhaps...a pony???

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: Back from fact finding in Union County!!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. My husband and I are actually in Charlotte now (for 5 days of fact finding) and have spent the last 2 days looking all over. We also seemed to like Lawson the best. We narrowed it down to the Pulte patio homes or the ranch Ryan homes. We are looking for homes with master bedroom down (since we are 50 years old and youngest is a Senior in H.S.). Does anyone have experience with Pulte vs. Ryan. We like the Pulte house since it has a nice loft area and is maintenance free. However the Ryan has the option of the morning room which I adore but has a closed bonus room on the 2nd floor. Pulte seems to include more in their base price than Ryan. However both have plus and minus.

My only concern with Lawson is the traffic that will be on Providence Road in that area. I work from home so I don't have to commute but my husband will. I'm wondering with all of the new developements off Providence Rd. in that area what the traffic will be like in a year or so.

Any feedback or insight would be appreciated. Thanks

kmg
New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Back from fact finding in Union County!!

Hi Everyone:

As per my realtor Ryan and Ryland are not affiliated.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Back from fact finding in Union County!!

Thanks KMG thats good to know.

4 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Back from fact finding in Union County!!

I just came back from Charlotte and are also in a process of moving there next month. We looked at Centex, Eastwood, Ryan, and CPMorgan in Harrisburg/Concord area. Any information about CPMorgan homes.