We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help A Tourist

Which Charlotte hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Please Help A Tourist

How easy is it to get around Charlotte if you don't rent a car?

Is it possible to walk to museums or other attractions? And where (what area) should we be looking for accommodation?

We will be in Charlotte for a full day before flying out and would like to see as much as possible in that time. Is there an organized city tour we could take which would provide info, history & transportation?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Charlotte, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help A Tourist

Don't know if it's too late... I just joined the forums.

NO, it's NOT easy to get around. The airport is out by the freeways... so I guess you either have to rent a car or stuck at the airport... sorry!

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help A Tourist

Without a rental car or help of a local if you know someone here it is difficult to get around. There is a bus that goes to the airport one time per hour pretty much all day. This bus will take you into downtown. Within walking distance of the downtown bus station there is the Museum of the New South, Discovery Place the Overstreet Mall Shopping complex and Panthers stadium. Discovery place is a nice place to take children and a nice Imax Theater. I am told that the Museum of the New South is a nice museum but I have not personally been inside. The Overstreet Mall is a bunch of retail area shopping in the highrises conected by overstreet inclosed walkways. Spirit Square offers a few galleries of various art with a semi perminate gallery from The Light Factory. This is several local amateur photographers works primarally in b&w. I strongly advise that you be out of downtown before sundown because the gangs tend to take over at night. There are several things available if you will have a car. If you see that you will take that route write back and I will give you some more ideas. I have lived in Charlotte since 1982 and have a good feel of the city.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help A Tourist

LOL, routeguy. Are you serious about downtown at night? 'Uptown' Charlotte comes alive at night and is tons of fun. There is bar after pub after restaurant, making dinner and bar-hopping easy without a car. There are always tons of people in the uptown area, walking or hanging out on the sidewalks or at sidewalk restaurants, and you will not feel unsafe if you stay in that area.

The hard part will be getting a cabride from the airport to uptown (and back) fast enough to leave you enough time to do stuff.