We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Subdivision lakes areas w/in 45 mins?

Boston
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Non Subdivision lakes areas w/in 45 mins?

Yet another Yankee fleeing the snow belt.

Ideal home would be non subdivision 3-4 beds under $350k.

Access to lakes would be swell. Looking for work with a financial downtown so I'd like to keep a reasonable commute.

Don't mind not having easy access to much stuff as i figure I will be at least driving by stuff on the way home.

I've read many previous posts and seen reference to such places as www.lakehickoryrealty.com and Tega but it seem like everything there is new developments and I'm looking for something older with a bit more character. From my review of the area maps seems like there are hundreds of miles of shoreline so there must be some older areas with reasonable access to the city.

Any suggestions where to start a search ? Shopton rd? out by Latta? Catawba? Any help is appreciated

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Non Subdivision lakes areas w/in 45 mins?

Much of the Lake frontage is owned by Duke POwer Co under their CRescent Resources division. Hence- the developments. You may find an older property with lake access but it would be extremely rare in the CHarlotte area. Lake Hickory would be a very long commute to Charlotte - more than an hour. I recommend a good realtor who has been in the area a long time.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non Subdivision lakes areas w/in 45 mins?

to sbs401: Tega Cay is in the process of doubling in size due to new growth....so that does leave you with a large amount of homes that would be resell. You would be hard pressed to find property right on the lake in Tega Cay for under $350 yet you can live right down the road from it and easily be within the price range your looking for. There is a wide range of homes here with the first ones being built in the 1970's with a touch Polynesian flair to them (if you read our cities history this will fully explain what that is all about www.tegacaysc.org). These homes and lots will both be smaller in size since they were originally built as vacation homes..and depending on location prices range anywhere from low $100,000 to low $200,000. Then you have everything else built from the 80's until now (and that is as old as they will get...as Duke Power had this property prior to it being developed) and they will vary in price too due to size and location. It is hard to get a feel of Tega Cay just on the internet as it seems that the spot light is just on the new homes being built in Lake Shore....but from what I have seen for anyone that doesn't mind a resell home I think you can get some pretty good deals right now. Good Luck with your search!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non Subdivision lakes areas w/in 45 mins?

There are lots of older homes in the Lake Norman area, but you won't get on the lake for $350K. The areas that you might consider are so huge that you just need a good realtor that specializes in Lake Norman, Cornelius, Huntersville, Denver etc.