We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

My husband, 19th month old and I live in South Florida and are thinking of moving to Charlotte. We would like to rent at first and then buy a nice townhouse for under 100K. Is there a nice family-friendly area where I can find townhouses this cheap? Currently we do not own a home here in Florida and can not afford one since housing prices are sky high. One of the main reasons we are thinking about moving to Charlotte is the chance to get out of debt and hopefully get ahead in life. Here we are drowning in debt and with starter homes starting at $350,000+ and climbing everyday I don't see any chance of ever owning. Currently my rent (for a two bedroom apartment) is around $1100. Could I rent a nice two bedroom there for around $700-800? My goal is to get out of debt but I still want a nice, safe area for my daughter. Thanks for any advice!!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Although NChopeful has moved on...and is no longer looking within the Charlotte area...I'm mainly posting this for someone else out there who might be considering moving to Charlotte and views the post from the person in AL. Yes, I think prices will be a little bit higher than certain parts of AL...yet at the same time ask anyone from NY, or CA how the prices are in NC or SC...and I am sure everyone of them will tell you (including me) Wow, What a Deal! Also just in case anyone is interested...there are decent areas (condos) around Charlotte that can still be found for under $100,000 (granted there may not be a lot but they are still there). Just some of the areas that come to mind are SW Charlotte, Pineville, and just across the stateline in SC (Fort Mill, Clover, etc.) Regarding a bubble bursting around these areas....it ain't gonna happen anytime soon in these parts with the amount of people that are coming this way.

Washington, DC
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Great posts . . .

For all of you expressing a dislike of the home prices in Charlotte, try looking into Washington, DC area, where you can't even get a decent TOWNHOUSE (not a single family home, but a TOWNHOUSE) in the $200K range.

Charlotte is looking better and better to me . . . :-)