We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

My husband, 19th month old and I live in South Florida and are thinking of moving to Charlotte. We would like to rent at first and then buy a nice townhouse for under 100K. Is there a nice family-friendly area where I can find townhouses this cheap? Currently we do not own a home here in Florida and can not afford one since housing prices are sky high. One of the main reasons we are thinking about moving to Charlotte is the chance to get out of debt and hopefully get ahead in life. Here we are drowning in debt and with starter homes starting at $350,000+ and climbing everyday I don't see any chance of ever owning. Currently my rent (for a two bedroom apartment) is around $1100. Could I rent a nice two bedroom there for around $700-800? My goal is to get out of debt but I still want a nice, safe area for my daughter. Thanks for any advice!!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
506 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Based on the prices that I see on apartments.com, I do think you can rent an apartment in an ok area for 700 - 800 per month, although the sizes are very small, 900 - 1100 sq ft. I am not sure about purchasing a townhouse for under $100k. I looked at the website carolinahome.com, and they are not in an area that I would want to live in. My suggestion would be to talk to a realtor and make plans to come up here and spend a day looking with them. As with anything I would imagine, it is all based on individual expectations. IMO real estate in Charlotte is expensive if you live in a nice, convenient and relatively safe area.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Most townhomes around here are starting in the 110s and 120s. There is a development in Cramerton, NC just west of CHarlotte ( Gaston County) that's building a small condo community with homes starting in the 80s! They'll be gone quickly, I'm sure! There's a new development on Old Down Rd in West Mecklenburg near the Gaston County line selling single family homes starting the 90s! It's called "Hathaway Hills". Looks like a good starter home neighborhood in a not yet too crowded area ( though that will change). We have some nice apartment communities in Belmont and Mt. Holly ( suburbs of Charlotte) in your price range. I am sure you could beat that 1100.00 a month rent in many areas of the city. Best wishes.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

to NChopeful: I know of a very nice apartment complex located in South Charlotte (Ballantyne area) called "Bexley Crossing at Providence". It is a great area and the prices are within your range. Have friends that live there and they are very happy. They also run specials all the time so be sure to ask for them if you stop by

(http://www.weinsteinproperties.com/find_frame.asp?city=Charlotte&loc=Bexley+Crossing+at+Providence).

Regarding condos....well if you don't mind crossing over to the otherside :o) just a hair...to Lake Wylie, SC...you can check out: Mercedes Homes. They have townhomes (Harpers Mill) within your price range. I can't tell you anything about the builder but I can tell you the location is pretty darn good for that price.

(mercedeshomes.com/find_home/…)

Wish you the best of luck!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Thanks everyone for the replies! It would be great if I could snag one of those homes that they are offering in the 90's! I'm glad to hear that there are nice apt's available in my range. I'm not too worried about a small place - my current apartment only 1072 square feet. Thanks Lovetegacaysc for the apartment suggestion. I will check it out if we are able to move up there. Now my husband just has to find a job there - lol.

This is a great forum. You guys are all so helpful. Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Thanks Bud for suggesting the Belmont/Hollycreek area for apartments. I went to apartments.com and found some nice looking aparmtnets in my price range. The only thing that makes me nervous is that many of the apartment use gas - I have visions of me blowing up the building while cooking LOL. Down here all of our stoves are electric.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Well it looks as though I won't be moving to Charlotte after all but to Raleigh. My husband just got a new job in which he could probably transfer to their Raleigh office in about a year. It also looks as though we will be able to afford a better house at that time (around $150k - $175k). Can anyone tell me what areas are family friendly and great for kids? I'm very conservative and was wondering if there are conservative areas considering that it is a college town - they are usually more liberal. I also would like a more "country" type home with lots of trees (and hardwood floors :) ). Also good schools and finding a good church are a top priority. Do you think I can find what I'm looking for in Raleigh-Durham or a town close to Raleigh? Thanks!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

to NChopeful-Congratualtions!....you might also want to start a new post in regard to Raliegh.....I think more people will see it that way. Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Thank you lovetegacaysc. I will make a new post.

Alabama
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Hello,

There is no way you will be able to buy a townhouse in a nice area of Charlotte for unter 100k. Housing is very, very high in the Charlotte area. We are currently living in the south in a 300k home. We would have top pay over 400k to match it in the Charlotte area. The thought of us moving to Charlotte is very depressings.... Sorry for all the gloom and doom on housing... Hopefully the bubble will burst soon!!!

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice areas with cheap rent and townhomes under $100k?

Check out Clover SC it is about 20 to 30 minutes from Charlotte. Under 100K will get you a 2 story house around 2000 square feet on about a half acre yard. School system is better than Charlotte?Mecklenburg and taxes about half. There are many Ok apartments in Charlotte for around 800 a month. Check out Albemarle Rd area. There are plenty on South Blvd and Central also but I would advise against these as the neighborhoods are not very good. You may even find some large houses for rent in the plaza area east of Sugar Creek for this price. That is my neighborhood though not the best in town it is far from the worst.