We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Democrats in Charlotte?

Michigan
11 posts
Save Topic
Democrats in Charlotte?

I don't want to offend anyone on this board, but I'm considering a move to Charlotte and one thing I'm concerned about is the overall climate in terms of politics and values. I'm not a raging activist - just a garden variety progressive who fears feeling out of place in (what I understand to be) a very red state. I'm a person of faith but definitely would not fit in with evangelical-types. I'm straight and engaged but would hate to live in a community that's insensitive to gays. I'm white but don't want to be surrounded entirely by other white people. I abhor guns, hunting, bigotry, corporate greed and, most of all, the bush administration. I'm sure you get my drift. Does anyone have input on this? Would you say Charlotte overall is a fairly open-minded community? Would I be a fish out of water? And again, I really hope I'm not offending anyone. I'll be the first to acknowledge that, as someone who's always lived in "blue" states, most of my fears are probably based on stereotypes. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

P.S. Are there any specific communities in the Charlotte area that are known for diversity and open-mindedness.

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

I am a firm believer that blind party loyalty to either party is unhealthy. Although I consider myself socially and fiscally progressive, my chief concern is not what the government's philosophy is but rather whether it is competent.

Regardless of party affiliation, do you all get the impression that the Charlotte area government is competent? Are they running a large deficit? Are they considered uncorrupt and honest (as honest as a politician at least!)? Do they adequately fund public schools, police and fire, and other public services?

I think these questions are far more important to the average person's daily life than where a local politician stands on the hot button issues of the day. My wife and I will make a decision whether to move to the Charlotte area or further west based more on government competence than any particular ideology.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

RJ- opinions will range on that. IMHO - Charlotte government wastes money. I was born and raised there and decided some years ago to move out. I did not want my property taxes used to build arenas and stadia, etc.....

There are power brokers in city government, but most of them are fueled by the powerhouse business interests that control the city.

I will say that when you get down to individual city services such as police, fire, sanitation, etc... they operate quite well.

The school system is a study in chaos. Continual upheaval, court ordered changes and re-assignment plans, top-heavy (mis) management, and over crowded schools.

The above problems are discussed ( and cussed LOL) on local talk radio every afternoon!

Columbus, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Bud,

First, let me thank you for your dilligence in replying to all these posts! I've been reading the site on and off for a few weeks and you seem to be everywhere all at once!

I understand that the school system is pretty whacky in Charlotte. Do all the communities in Mecklenburg county have that problem? We are looking at some in the SE of the city. Regardless, we won't be moving for another two years or so, hopefully they've got them cleaned up before then. For some reason, it seems like large cities just can't get their acts together when it comes to schools.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

I work around computers all day so I multi-task! LOL- some days that's easier than others!. I taught in CMS in the 1980s - grew up in the system. It started getting crazy in the late 70s and it's been chaotic ever since. I wouldn't count on it "getting fixed" anytime soon. The problem is the size. There is a move afoot to have certain parts of the county seceed from the system and start their own - that would take approval from Raleigh ( not likely). That being said- I have friends in the system who are excellent teachers and administrators. There are some schools that do a good job in spite of the challenges. But, I would not teach in the system again.

Michigan
11 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Thanks to everyone for all of your input. Bud41, I have read some of your posts such as one in particular where you said you might consider moving to Arizona if "our government would do a better job of policing the borders." Or something to that effect. So when I say close-minded, that is what I'm talking about. I certainly don't think everyone who holds different beliefs than me is close-minded. But that type of Pat Buchanan B.S. is, by definition, close-minded. And, in my mind at least, just plain wrong. I don't know why any of us, just by virtue of our luck at being born American, has any more right to make a living or enjoy life here than anyone else who might venture here from some "foreign" place.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

writer78 - you obviously don't havea clue what is coming across the border illegally. And you obviously don't live in a state where more than 300,000 illegal aliens are draining the economy. You have a right to your opinion but it is not based on fact. Because I am open-minded enough to know the facts, I formed my view and simple observation verified it. Our borders are out of control and it is a security threat - just ask the liberal democrat governor of New Mexico - who has land in the southern part of his state now worth less than 100.00 an acre.

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Writer78 - Like I said earlier, come on to Chapel Hill or Carrboro. You will be in a community of 30,000 people, with 29,950 sharing your exact beliefs! It's a very comforting feeling for me to go to the grocery store, look at a line of 10 cars parked, and 9 of them still have their Kerry Edwards bumper stickers!

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

One more thing ... I am happy to say that I support our local hispanic agencies, not caring one bit if individuals are legal or not legal. I am supporting individuals, not members of certain countries or races or religions, just people like me. Yes, my taxes are incredibly high, but I don't really mind....it's the price we pay for living in the world.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Democrats in Charlotte?

Hi, just back from a long vacation.... Boy has this forum gotten off topic!!! This is supposed to be a travel advice forum, not a put down native southerners forum or a political forum! Bud and I have always tried to be thoughtful and helpful in giving our advice and knowledge about the area. That's all this forum is supposed to be about. Those of you who want to have a political debate need to find another forum.