We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Traffic in Charlotte

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Re: Traffic in Charlotte

All, for those of you wondering about traffic in the Charlotte area, this may help a bit. You will get a small sample of the traffic on I-77 north and south of the city at

http://www.ncsmartlink.org/cameras/

Click on the Metrolina area for Charlotte and float your mouse over each traffic camera (when they are working) to have a pop up window open with a real time still shot of the traffic in that area. Double click on the camera to have a smaller view with 4 pictures with north/south/east/west views (when they are working). This also helps you to see which direction the camera is facing and which direction the traffic is heading.

From my observations, it is a so-so indicator of the traffic south of the city because I never see heavy, stand still traffic. It seems to be a good indicator of traffic north of the city because I often see heavy, slow or stand still traffic. Unfortunately, they do not have cameras on any secondary roads in the area. Maybe a local can weigh in on the accuracy of this.

They also have camera sites for the Triangle and the Triad.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Traffic in Charlotte

I-77 is bad both ways during rush hour. I have crossed over Tyvola Rd and seen it at a stand still both ways many times. Other bad roads - Independence Blvd., Tyvola/Fairview/Sardis (all the same road - changes names.....a common occurance in Charlotte!), Providence Rd, South Blvd., I-485 from I-77 and east, I-85 from Billy Graham Pkwy ( also busy) all the way to Concord! Well, there are more, but these are always stop and go. Happy driving ya'll!!!!!!

Wake Forest, nc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Traffic in Charlotte

Like so many other places.. Charlotte has changed sooo much. I lived in Charlotte (south park area - off what was then called park road extension) in the late 70's and early 80's. I eventally ended up in Raleigh but did go back for my 10 year class reunion (MPHS) in 1992. I was shocked at the area.. the growth.. the high rises.. everything. All I kept saying is.. "this wasn't here then.." and stupid stuff like that. It made Raleigh look like a little town ! A few years ago we were off to Carowinds and I convinced my husband to stop off in Charlotte to do a drive by of our old house. We almost didn't find it due to roads being rerouted and just the general change of the area (trees growing, etc.) If I thought that area was something in 1992.. I couldn't believe it ! Reminds me of an old friend.. telling of when her husband moved to Charlotte in the 60's and used to pick berries where Southpark mall stands.. country roads...