We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Charlotte

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Charlotte

I am moving to Charlotte in about 6 months, for a job. I live in Vegas for about 2 years now, and I hate it here! I am from Cleveland, and I've heard there are a lot of people from Cleveland in Charlotte, which I like. Anyway, I went to go visit the city and was very impressed. Charlotte is really beautiful and the people are so kind. In Vegas you could be on the side of the road dying and not a lot of people will stop to help. I also saw that the coast of living is very comfortable, I could buy a condo for under 100,000. Most important there are sports, being from Cleveland, I am a huge football fan, Go Browns!

The one thing that I am worried about it the singles life. I know Charlotte is a great place to raise a family, but I am not there yet. So, is the singles life really as bad as people make it out to be?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland
Cleveland
North Carolina
Portsmouth, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Charlotte

I am an East Side Clevelander who has moved around quite a bit and Charlotte was my home for one year.

I lived in Charlotte 2002-2003, at the time a single (early 20's), although in a long-term relationship. Going out 3-4 times a week, I certainly covered many places and can at least attest to the local scene.

I hadn't heard any rumors of a bad singles life, but I can say that all of my girlfriends and guyfriends found plenty of "relationships" while I was there. South of the city is the bar scene. You can go to the Pineville/Matthews areas and North to South Park (very trendy) to find plenty of pool halls (seemed pretty popular in Charlotte) as well as wine bars and more trendy joints. Being a newer, fast growing city, many establishments are brand new and have a sophisticated feel if that's your style. I found tons of young people to talk to and made a load of friends in the 1 year I was there, very sad to leave.

Also big in Charlotte are apartment and housing complexes. When viewing apartments, I guarantee you'll come accross ones (like I did) that are full of young people and boom - instant friend network. It definitely feels like a young city but also as you rightly stated; a great place to raise a family. The people are indeed friendly and although you will notice the differences in Southerners too, you will realize we have a lot in common with regards to hospitality and friendliness(save for the unbeatable Cleveland work ethic that is unmatched most anywhere).

Now living in Europe with my wife, and having since lived a year and a half in Hoboken NJ, I have to say that when we move back to the States in another year or so that Charlotte is on the top of our list. When I lived there, I was a bit impatient and looking to the next city etc, in retrospect I realize that year was one of the best (for living).

Write back if you have any more questions.

Mentioned in this post
Pineville
Pineville
North Carolina
Matthews
Matthews
North Carolina
Cleveland
Cleveland
North Carolina
Hoboken
Hoboken
New Jersey
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Charlotte

hey,

thanks so much for all the great information! i will be moving right after new years, and even though i am ready, at the same time i am getting a little nervous. you know, you start running all the questions in your head "am i doing the right thing, will i like it, will i meet people, etc." so, i like to hear people saying positive things, and from your post i enjoy doing all that stuff, playing pool, wine bars and trendy areas.

if i have anymore questions, i may take you up on your offer.

thanks

Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Charlotte

There are many singles in Charlotte. The single 20 something 30 something is prevelent. Many people have delayed relationships to build their careers and now are looking. There are many singles organizations from Church based to golf based to the bar scene. You should be able to find about anything you want as a single here. Probably about 30% of the population is single with new people moving in and out all of the time. The single women do outnumber the single men here. While being single I had no trouble getting dates (usually went out with someone almost every week).

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Charlotte

I know of a great realtor that would be able to assit you in Charlotte.. let me know if you would like her info..

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Charlotte

I am planning to visit Charlotte in mid December since I will be moving in February. can you please provide the name of the realtor to find nice apartment in Charlotte area.