We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
309 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

Thanks for advice on Breakfasts but looks like I'll be eating in the Sheraton at their buffet my one morning. Okay so now the big question. I'm taking the hotel shuttle into downtown CH on Friday for lunch (just me). I have ONE shot at a great casual lunch at a place that reasonable (even a bargain <g>) that would be regional and special. (BTW, I'm coming bacvk for longer stay next May). So i don't want something I can get in Philly. After lunch I have a few hours to walk before going back to hotel. So folks. help me out! (Please!)

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

Panchopup is spot-on with all comments. On the Carolina Inn... they also do an afternoon tea, very Southern :) ... carolinainn.com/chapel-hill-afternoon-tea-me…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
309 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

Hi All! I'm back and here's my report for whAt it's worth. Thanks to a gate attendant for US AIR I missed my flight (long story but hope to get compensated), I was two hours late getting into CH. I used the hotel shuttle had him drop me off at the Meditarrean. You folks were right. Loved it. Cheap, good gyro and I pigged out on olives! Then I headed to the Visitor Info Center a few blocks from Meditarrean (almost to Carrboro. Got some info and maps and FREE CH T-shirt! I asked all the students etc if there was a local ice cream store for dessert and was told I needed a car so I had choice of B&J or Cold Stone. I chose cold stone. And then walked across the street to the Art Museum. A few nice paintings there but 80% of gallery was art from India and that's not of great interest to me. I walked to the Wilson Library to see the \Southern Folklife Collection and then back to Franklin Street to catch the D bus to the Sheraton. But I wanted to see how far walk it was to Brueggers/Trader Joes etc so I got off just before Whole Foods and poked in to buy some beer. (We can't buy less than a case of beer in PA.). The beer guy (Eric) is amazing and helped me chhose some bottles to take back to hotel. I stopped in Trader Joes too. Then I walked back to the Sheraton (.58 mile per GPS in a car - later) on the grassy shoulder of the road. It was day time and easy.

For dinner, our group went to Mama Dips and i was every bit as good as I remember from 2000.

As for breakfast on Saturday, when you check in to the Sheraton, they have a wheel to spin and you get either $10 off in their restaurant or Free Breakfast - which is their $10.99 buffet which is pretty substantial. I won the breakfast so that took care of that. We had to stay in hotel for lunch because of time and it was pretty good for hotel food. For dinner Saturday we ate outside at the Acme and it was GREAT! . Sunday I did a quick breakfast at McDonalds and then friends with kids picked me up for day fun including the Science Museum for kids. Great space. Dinner was a the brew pub Tyler's in the American Tobacco Bldg. Good beer and food.

Well I'll be back in May for a full week and will get out a few times to eat. Thanks for all your help. Maybe this report will help someone else.

Steve

Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

Love Acme. It's one of my favorite spots for a date or a ladies night. We like Akai Hanna for sushi, also in Carrboro and 411 West on Franklin in Chapel Hill. Some alternate choices for a business dinner. Tyler's Tap room on the tobacco campus is one of our favorites for lunch. We love sitting outside by the little creek. There is another Tyler's tap room right in Carrboro, but the ambiance is much different. The food is great though and if you use Four Square you can get free garlic fries. Those garlic fries are the best I've ever had with the fresh garlic. Yum!

Some other great lunch spots are Carrburritos for lunch. Myself, my Mom and my two children eat there every Friday and we split one nachos with chicken between the four of us. It's so much food and so good. We like Armadillo Grill in Carrboro too. The dillo deals are great for lunch. They have awesome queso dip and my husband really likes their wings.

As for ice cream, we LOVE Sugarland right next to campus. It is actually gelato, but super yummy and they have cupcakes and several other good choices for something sweet.

If you're up for a drive, The Eddy Pub in Saxapahaw is awesome. It's about 20 minutes from CH, but oh so amazing. Totally different ambiance there too. If you come on a Saturday you might be lucky enough to catch some live music at one of the several venues in the small village.

Hope you have a great time in May!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
309 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

Thanks Amy. I was only there for the weekend =back in October but will be back for 5 days in May for our Conference (Sound Recordings). I enjoyed my all too brief stay.

Steve

15. Re: Best lunch place for Northerner in Chapel Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, March 08, 2017