We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chapel Hill Restaurants

Which Chapel Hill hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Chapel Hill Restaurants

Planning a dinner and a lunch for a reunion of old classmates.

Chapel Hill has changed so much, would appreciate suggestions for either meal. Would be open to any kind of food varieties.

Thank you .

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

Okay, here are some more to check out:

Shula's at the Sheraton Europa

Bin 54

Jujube

One restaurant

Saffron

These are all pretty expensive.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

I totally understand, my husband is a Carolina alum(class of '82) too.... when he and his frat. brothers decide they want to be in Chapel Hill, crowds, accommodation prices, etc. don't matter! lol! So glad you already have your accommodations taken care of, the rest of your plans should be easier!

Yes it will be quite crowded in and around CH that weekend but I'll have to admit Commencement Day-2011 was a very special, memorable day. Our entire family was so impressed with the way Carolina celebrated it's newest graduates that day. After the Commencement ceremony, there were many smaller, well-done celebrations hosted by the departments throughout the quads. It was a great day just to walk through campus to see all the celebrations going on and also all the individual families celebrating their grads. My daughter's dept. put on quite a spread, something like I thought only seen at a smaller private elite university. :) Since you're going to be in town, I'd recommend taking a walk through campus on that special day.

Best Wishes!

Edited: 8:36 pm, October 16, 2012
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

Mediterranean Deli also has a banquet room.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

I don't know much about lunch options but my choice would be Spanky's which is right on Franklin, has good sandwiches and especially good if you can get a table in the window. The Carolina Coffee Shop is an old standby. I also heard the rathskellar might be reopening. If so, that would be a great spot for alums.

The Angus Barn would be perfect if it were closer. i do recall going to pledge formals and other special occasiion dinners way back when, and love to go there now. I do know the owner, Vann Eure will take special care of you. For a group your size, it may be worth lining up a bus which I think is pretty easily done

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

The Rat is not open right now. They've been in the works for a few years so I wouldn't count on that.

You might also check out Acme in Carrboro and maybe Tyler's Taproom, Carolina Brewery or Top of the Hill. These are all popular places with good food (something for everyone) and reasonably priced and sure to be crowded that weekend.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

Thanks to all of you for your ideas. Glad some of us have a good memory!!

Some great suggestions and we are working on it. Wish these guys would do this another time, but some things, we cannot control.

We have a great group here in North Carolina!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,827 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

Found an article from last Feb about the status of the Rat: chapelhillnews.com/2012/02/29/70312/rathskel…

You could try Crooks, but again, sure to be really popular that weekend.

Elaine's and Lantern are good suggestions, too, but smallish (not that Crook's is big, just throwing it into the mix).

Top of the Hill would be the quintessential Chapel Hill experience looking down on Franklin St, but it's super popular with students and their families so could be tricky. You might try for lunch while graduation is going on. I think graduation usually starts about 9:30am so you might try one of the Franklin St places for an early lunch while they're all still in Kenan if none of your crowd is going to graduation.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

Queeni, I think the Angus Barn would be a perfect choice if it were a little closer. It's a 20-25 minute drive, but I do remember going to pledge formals and other special occasions from chapel Hill, back in the day. I do know that the owner, Vann Eure, will go out of her way to make it special. I would ask to speak to her, personally. It is expensive ( they all are ) but I have never heard of anyone coomplaining about the value received.

19. Re: Chapel Hill Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 19, 2013