We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

triangle area wedding ideas?

Which Chapel Hill hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
triangle area wedding ideas?

Help!

I've been enlisted to help plan a wedding in the triangle area for 2 Carolina grads who've moved out of the area. I'm also out of state so am doing online research.

They are looking for an 'all inclusive' place for ceremony & reception - to simplify things. Maybe something a bit different...and of course, budget is an issue.

Yikes! I'm a first timer at this, but they are both in grad school and feeling overwhelmed.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

As a rabid Tar Heel, agree that "near Chapel Hill' is not good enough for 2 Carolina grads who want to have their wedding here. Go for the Carolina Inn.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

Yes, we see that you stated "triangle area" in your topic. I think those of us who are Carolina alum, or know Carolina alums and know how deeply devoted/connected they are to their beloved campus and Chapel Hill, are just trying to be helpful, in case you don't understand the couple's true wishes. Since it appears you have no connection with Carolina, you wouldn't understand the connection to your soul that develops in the all too short years spent there. There are very few things in life that make my husband as happy as returning to Chapel Hill, walking the beautiful campus, and Franklin street. My husband and I are watching this love grow in our daughter now who is a junior there (a top academic scholar who never had any school spirit in high school); we see it too in our friends; alums who left the area/state after undergrad but must return each year just to soak in the ambiance/beauty of the campus. Our friends who were "out of state" students, and those who must travel the farthest are the most devoted of all our college friends. We have friends who have lived all around the world, but have returned to Chapel Hill to retire; they said no matter where they lived, they always had "Carolina, in my mind". As James Taylor (a Chapel Hill native) wrote: "In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina

Can't you see the sunshine

Can't you just feel the moonshine

Ain't it just like a friend of mine

It hit me from behind

Yes I'm gone to Carolina in my mind

Gone to Carolina in my mind

Then I'm on to Carolina in my mind

Gone to Carolina in my mind".

Those of us who understand this and who've made comments here, are trying to be helpful, but are completely mystified why any "blue blooded" Carolina alum who has moved away would come back ALMOST to Chapel Hill to be married. It just doesn't make good sense. You don't get that special ambiance of the campus and Chapel Hill anywhere in NC or the world; ONLY in Chapel Hill.

Good luck with your search.

13. Re: triangle area wedding ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, April 17, 2010