We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina Beach, good choice??

Which Carolina Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Port Jervis
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Carolina Beach, good choice??

Hello! My boyfriend and I are expecting to travel down to Carolina Beach for a few nights getaway this July and I am a little concerned/nervous about the differentiating opinions of Carolina Beach. I was just wondering about how the beach is in general (hows the water, the waves, etc.) what does everyone mean when they say the beach has a 'slope'? (stupid question probably) and the general overall atmosphere of Carolina Beach. We prefer a less crowded, Jersey Shore-type beach with a laid back atmosphere. Any places we should avoid and/or take a visit to? Any feedback would be excellent and helpful! :)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

I haven't been there in a few years, but we always did love it there. Very laid back, quiet, enjoyable beach. The beach itself was always changing...from one year to the next and from one area to the other. Hopefully someone that has been there recently can fill you in. Have fun!!

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

I actually just returned from a week-long vacation at Carolina beach and I think it is an excellent choice. It was very laid back and the beach itself was beautiful! It really wasn't crowded at all. My family and I were able to come and go to shops and restaurants without having to wait or anything like that. It was really nice. I will warn you that as I was leaving they were setting up some sort of "carnival" and I don't know how long it is going to be there. It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm sure it may affect the traffic flow through there. I hope I answered your question. Wherever you decide to go, I hope you have a wonderful time!

Ironton, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

Great place to go and not as crowded as myrtle beach. We go every year and love it.

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
3 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

Just returned from there on June 30, 2012 and did not like it. We like Topsail much better. The beach is only about 10 feet wide at high tide, and the waves break on the edge, so you can't bodysurf. The locals were not friendly. We stayed at Pelican Watch, and they were downright nasty. The place was a real bait and switch, and turned out to be a dump. Bryant Realty was also terrible. They wouild not lift a finger to help with anything. We've stayed at condos from FL to NJ, and this was the worst we have ever been treated.

Ironton, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

Try the South Winds next time, the old owners have it back. Its the only place we will stay.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

We spent a week there this year as we are trying different places to find a place we can return to regularly. Last year we stayed at Topsail and chose CB this year to find more things to do. You can't beat the beauty of Topsail and the color of the water but there is not much to do there. At CB we were able to ride bikes to bars, places to eat, short trip into Wilmington and anything you may need is close by. It seems CB is in the midst of a change, where it used to be very run down and is now trying to make a comeback. I would think it is fair to say it is halfway there. The "carnival" is a little seedy. The boradwalk area is small, but you have to go just for Britt's Donuts. The beach dow shrink up during high tide and you are going to want to stay several blocks south of the pier. Probably about 5 or 6 and it is OK. Anything within a fewblocks and there is no beach at high tide. We had a great 3 story house that was new and really enjoyed it. For us with family and friends we made it work and had a really nice time. i hope it continues its upward climb as it could be a really great place.

7. Re: Carolina Beach, good choice??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, January 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach