We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean swimming

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ocean swimming

Have read some negative things about the beach. I'm a Jersey girl and love to swim in the big waves. Is this a good beach for me? Thanks

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocean swimming

What negative things have you heard? Do you mean you've heard negative things about Carolina Beach, or about any beach in general?

Nothing at all wrong with Carolina Beach. It has sand, and an ocean with waves, uh...I guess that's all you need for a beach, eh?

Toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ocean swimming

People complaining about the pounding surf, the slope. I just want to know if I can swim there. As I said,I'm used to the big waves. Thanks.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
761 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocean swimming

I think the degree of pounding of surf at the NC beaches, as I guess most beaches, depends on the weather. If there is a big storm at sea, then the waves are huge. Or there might be a mean riptide, whereas a week later, it can be like a lake. For instance, I was down a week ago and it was VERY mild, while over Memorial Day weekend, at the same point, the lifeguards had 35 rescues right in front of our house...due to the riptide. There is no way anyone is going to be able to tell you what the waves are going to be like sometime in the future.

Google some of the nc surfing sites for wave reports and cameras to see for yourself. We go to Wrightsville and it really varies from day to day. The slope will come after a huge storm, usually a nor'easter, that beats on the beach and wears away the first 10 feet or so.

Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ocean swimming

We just got back from several days at Carolina beach and found that boogie boarding was only good at extreme low tide because of the steep beach. The rest of the time, it was difficult to get out into the waves because of the strong undertow at the shore. I didn't think the waves were very big, but we had a great afternoon of boarding at low tide.

I'd rather have a beach with a gentle slope on the shore.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ocean swimming

My experience with Carolina Beach is that it is very sloped, choppy, and heavy currents. Could have just been my visits, but ocean swimming was more work than pleasure.

6. Re: ocean swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations