We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

6 posts
Save Topic
Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

We'd love some input on a quiet beach get-a-way sometime in late September.

We're looking for a beach with long streches for walks, possibly the option of letting a dog run and swim and general quiet.

Knowing most beaches are quiet(er) in September, we're not sure if north of Wilmington or south of Wilmington, NC has better beaches.

And a nice oceanfront 1-2 bedroom condo as well!

And comments would be most helpful - we're new to the North Carolina area.

Thanks!

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

VeronicaAnne,

My family and I used to stay in Carolina Beach every October. My fondest memories are of that beach, so of course that is where I would suggest. I don't think you will be disappointed. How long are you planning to stay? There's plenty to do in the area, if you are interested in any kind of sightseeing.

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

Thanks for your comments! We'll look at staying there.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

I would say Carolina or Kure. The undeveloped stretch of CB just north of the pier is gorgeous. As is the undeveloped stretch of Kure around Fort Fisher. My family vacationed at CB (oceanfront home near pier) during peak season 2005, and we only saw one camper the entire week at the undeveloped stretch/camp/4-wheel drive area. We enjoyed daily walks there. Dogs would love it. Enjoy.

Carolina Beach, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

Keep in mind that between April and October, we do not allow dogs to be walked on the beach. Why? Just last week at our fireworks, I watched a girl kick sand over doggie doo doo and walk away from it like it was no big deal. The fecal matter finds its way into our oceans and contaminates and pollutes our waters-aside from the obvious disgust of stepping in it. We do our best to keep our waters and beaches clean. You can, as gnodule said, walk your dog on the North end on a leash anytime. You MUST be able to present a plastic bag if asked or you face a fine. This is called Freeman Park and it is one of the only beachs where you can still camp on the beach. No campers are allowed and you have to have a 4 wheel truck/SUV to get on the island. Its absolutely beautiful. Feel free to email me at visitor@pleasureislandnc.org for any info I can send to you!

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

What are the rules/fees for Freeman Park? I am thinking about bringing a group in September for tent camping. I can't find much on the net about it. Can dogs camp as well?

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

As long as I'm pushing everyone else's threads to the top, I might as well help myself out...

Any comments on Freeman Park?

Carolina Beach, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

Freeman Park is one of the ONLY beaches left where you can still camp on the beach. Only 4 wheel drive vehicles are allowed on the beach because of the tides. Its awesome but the rip currents are very strong there. A 23 yr old woman drowned there this past weekend-she was swimming alone. Our community is deeply saddened by this. The lifeguards did all they could to rescue her. There is a ton of info available at the link below. Hope it helps!

carolinabeach.org/site_new/…freeman_park.html

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

How awful...

I do remember the rip currents being VERY strong when we stayed just south of the CB pier. I will remind everyone to be very careful when we visit.

Thanks.

Carolina Beach, NC
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

Oh-And dogs can stay @ Freeman year-round as long as they are leashed and you can present a bag when asked (for clean up).

10. Re: Carolina, Kure, Topsail...which beach is best in September..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Carolina Beach
Recent Conversations