We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocation to Calabash

ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Relocation to Calabash

Hi

We are looking to relocate to calabash area. Have sorted out job and house but am keen to find out more about the area.

We are moving from Ireland and are a bit scared by how close we are to Myrtle Beach!

How much impact does the influx of tourists have further up the coast? Am I being a bit daft to worry about this?

Any general information about the area would be appreciated, basically we love to spend time outdoors and are looking forward to visiting the beaches in the area.

Thanks

DaisyK

tk
Central Florida...
Level Contributor
16 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocation to Calabash

Calabash is an area we have been going to for 8 years. We wanted to move there also but not sure where or when. It's close to the ocean. lots of golfing. Myrtle beach doesn't bother Calabash much. Highway 17 is getting busy but new highways are in the works to make travel for residents better. It is a small town but many close towns near by. It has four seasons but no snow. Lots of good Southern hospitality. Enjoy your move.

T

wallingford,Ct
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocation to Calabash

Daisyk

If you are still out there I am also interested in possiably relocating to Calabash,from Connecticute( New England) if you got or have any interesting info I would appreciate your sharing.

Thanks

Fred

fredl33@sbcglobal.net

PS

I'm sure you can appreciate my position.

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocation to Calabash

I have been going to the Brunswick area for fifteen years. Dont wory you are far enough from all the crazyness of Myrtle Beach yet close enough to enjoy it if you want. In calabash you have great resturants that are out of the way. There is plenty of shopping and the golf is as good as it gets. You will enjoy the nice quiet area. I travel there 4 or 5 times a year and will continue till I die.If you want any more info feel free to e-mail me.

Philadelphia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocation to Calabash

My e-mail address is rjw5262@aol.com

West Virginia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocation to Calabash

Yep, you should be safe from Myrtle at Calabash, it's at least a half hour further to the south. :o) But also as has already been said, it sits away from the craziness of busy US 17. I have been going to Holden, just a bit to the east, for nearly twenty years and you should like there; very quiet, close to the beach, and with plenty to do around the area.

N.C. Coast
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocation to Calabash

We relocated to Carolina Shores, next to Calabash. Only 7 miles to Sunset Beach which is probably the best beach around. Lots to do-close to Myrtle Beach but away from the crowds and commotion there. About one hour easy drive to Wilmington, NC which is a nice city to visit with theater and good restaurants.

We are never bored!

Traffic in our area does get busier in the summer but nothing like Myrtle Beach. However, as rural as the area is, it is growing by leaps and bounds and housing costs are still going up. Most jobs are in the tourist, service industries but we are retired so not the best resource for that question.

7. Re: Relocation to Calabash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, August 17, 2009