We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some ideas please

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Some ideas please

Three girlfriends and I will be spending 3 nights in Boone in mid October. We are all 50-years old. Was looking for some sights during the day. Also some kind of fall festival, farm with apple picking, flea market, craft fair. That type of thing in Boone and/or surrounding towns.

Need 3 dinner restaurants. One on the way from the Charlotte airport to Boone.

Enjoy trying local food.

Thank you!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Some ideas please

Wow, what a great post, UNCMickey!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Some ideas please

Thank you all so much!!! So many wonderful suggestions:)

What's north Carolina barbecue like??

Also, when you say pricey can you give me an idea of price per person. How upscale do you dress?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Some ideas please

Western NC BBQ is wood smoked and sauce is spicy/sweet tomato-based. Boone is extremely casual; jeans/sweatshirts/casual sweaters are the norm. In more touristy Blowing Rock you see a bit nicer casual dress than in Boone.

Better, "dressy" casual is the norm in the most upscale restaurants.

By pricey, I assume you are asking about the upscale restaurants? Most restaurant links I gave earlier have menus with prices. I'd estimate with drinks, appetizer, entree, and dessert, the minimum per person would be around $50; it could go much higher.

Most of the casual local restaurants I mentioned have entrees starting less than $10.00 each.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Some ideas please

traveling, NC BBQ is basically slow cooked pulled, chopped pork. In Eastern NC they roast the whole hog all night long often over hickory. In western NC they usually use just the shoulder, again wood roasted preferably. Eastern NC BBQ has a thin vinegar based sauce, western NC, or Lexington, BBQ has a slightly thicker, but usually still on the thin side vinegar and ketchup based sauce. Often in a BBQ restaurant you will also find the Texas or St Louis or Memphis or Kansas City style of thick, sticky tomato-based sauce and some ribs or brisket or beef, too, to cater to those whose BBQ allegiances lie elsewhere, but real NC BBQ is always pork and really only pork. There's a big friendly feud in NC about whether Eastern NC or Western/Lexington NC bbq is the best, but it's always pork either way.

UNCMickey recommends Woodlands and I can't disagree, but Bandana's has some nicer pictures of NC BBQ on their website — http://www.bandanasbarbque.com . Not suggesting one restaurant over the other, but just wanted to show you a picture. I'm actually not a huge BBQ aficionado and have never been to either restaurant. I like it all right every now and again, and certainly grew up eating my share of it, but generally speaking our family now are not big meat eaters — not quite vegetarian, but eat more veggie-based meals than meat meals. I need to go take my kids to a BBQ joint soon, though, so they don't miss out on their NC heritage.

Edited: 11:10 pm, October 04, 2012
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Some ideas please

Here's a nice relatively short article about Eastern vs Western NC styles of BBQ: saveur.com/article/Travels/East-Vs-West-Caro… . Whole books have been written about the subject, but you get the general idea. Usually in the mts you get the Western style, but you could stumble across a joint that offers Eastern style sauce, too.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Some ideas please

Growing up in NC, I forget BBQ means different things to different people. lol! To us it's just Eastern or Western NC styles of pork BBQ.

That being said, besides the traditional pulled pork Western NC BBQ, Woodlands http://www.woodlandsbbq.com/ also serves up delicious BBQ'd chicken, turkey, and beef.

I've also eaten at Bandana's in Boone, they do a good job on their 'que too; also have a much larger, more diverse menu than Woodlands. They have a terrific salad bar, for those who might not like as much (or any) meat.

My preference for Woodlands comes from the atmosphere rather than the food. Plus, the nostalgia factor as it was a favorite college hangout of mine back in the dark ages. (when Blowing Rock was the nearest place for ASU students to buy/drink beer; the ASU college students now have their own bars in Boone)

Woodlands has a good ole rustic/old-time mountain feel, plus live Bluegrass music at night.

Pancho, you've still got time to introduce your kids to NC BBQ. My kids wouldn't touch the stuff until they were in high school. I think I worked too many school BBQ's during elementary and middle school years and brought home too many nasty looking ground-up/dried out school fundraiser BBQ plates. Most of the time my husband and I threw them in the trash....rarely close to what real/good BBQ should be. My husband always said..."why didn't you just give the school some money?" ;)

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Some ideas please

Off the subject, but not totally, living in NC and Tennessee, the BBQ in our neck of the woods in Tenn. and Birmingham is a mouth-watering experience. Slow smoked, pulled, juicy and melts in your mouth good!! Memphis, as we all know, has their own styles to offer, being on the western side of Tennessee.

Our son, who is an Associate Chef Instructor in Charlotte also has his style and it is amazing. Just have to have it!!

Some times, you just have to have it!!!!

18. Re: Some ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 15, 2013