We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rafting on Nolichucky

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
rafting on Nolichucky

anyoen done this trip-How is it? coming over the 4th and looking to do this with family and kids ages 10-14

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rafting on Nolichucky

I took a group of about 15 kids ages 10+ last summer on the Nolichucky. I think we went with Mountain River Adventure Guides (or something like that). The river levels were low because NC was in a drought situation last summer, so we had to paddle in these individual inflatable kayak rafts. I was very nervous about having the kids paddle their own "boats", but it was fine, we had no problems as the rapids were pretty tame, due to the low water levels.

When we were in the rapids the kids had a blast, when we were in the long stretches with no rapids the kids got tired/bored really fast. I wish we had done half a day trip instead of a full day as it was to long of a day for the younger kids in our group, the older teens were fine. Again a lot of our problems were due to the river levels being so low.

Luckily NC has had more rain this summer, so it should make the rafting trip more fun. We also did a half day caving expedition in TN, which all the kids really liked.

This would be a great adventure that your kids would have a blast doing. Just be sure to ask about the river levels, and how far you have to paddle once you are out of the rapids. We had to paddle at least a mile to get to our stopping point, which really tired out the younger kids.

Boone
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: rafting on Nolichucky

We go with the oldest original outfitter on the river, WAHOOS ADVENTURES. We have always had a great time, good food, great guides and the best state of the art equipment on any of the rivers. Try them you will be glad you did. Be sure to ask about river water levels, if it is low an inflatable Kayak is a great way to go!

3. Re: rafting on Nolichucky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:32 am, February 24, 2010