We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night stay

Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
one night stay

My family will be in Blowing Rock for one night. We are considering either The Green Park Inn (my daughter is into haunted places) or Meadowbrook. Any suggestions? I would love to stay at Chetola, but its a little out of our budget. We are looking for a hotel/inn that has a lounge/bar that serves food. Thanks!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night stay

Green Park Inn is a further walk into town. Meadowbrook is much closer. Meadowbrook has an Italian restaurant or you could walk into town and enjoy the town. It is wonderful, welcoming and delightful.

Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one night stay

Thanks for the suggestion. We spent a few days last year in Blowing Rock for our 25th anniversary, so we know what a wonderful town it is. This trip we will have our 12 year old with us! I guess my only concern is to find a place to relax in the evening. It will be on a Sunday and I know the town actually closes up rather early on Sundays. I know both places that I mentioned have lounges. We probably wouldn't be walking to town in the evening because very little would be open. Is Meadowbrook a *better* place? The main reason I mentioned Green Park Inn is because our daughter is into the *haunted* idea, and its also next to Canyons...

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one night stay

I have not been in Green Park. We live there 6 months a year, and keep saying we will go see it, but have not.

You have not said when you are coming and as the season progresses, some places extend their hours.

Have you been to Bistro Roca? It is off the beaten path, but in the downtwn area. A great place to chill and in budget. They have a screeced porch off the back. Great bar area, and serve everything from fish to pizza . Have a nice brick oven just for it! There is parking also. I think, the perfect stop for you!

Maine
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one night stay

Bistro Roca was on our list of places to go. We couldn't get in last visit. They had a huge waiting list. As for our trip...we will be in BR next Sunday, April 20th. We plan on driving up from Charlotte on Sunday morning and we will have until Monday late afternoon, they we have to head back to Charlotte. Our last visit we stayed at Sweet Seasons, and loved it, but its not really set up for families, its more of a romantic place to stay. There will be six of us on this trip!

Charlotte NC
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: one night stay

I just returned this afternoon from a day trip from Charlotte to Blowing Rock to check out nightly rentals for a short trip later in the spring. There are very few places that rent on a nightly basis on Fridays (most have then require a 2-night minimum), but Green Park Inn is one of them. It smells very musty and didn't look terribly clean (we visited some cleaned rooms), but they're roomy. It would be more convenient to stay closer in, though. I'm having a terrible time finding a decent place for a decent price that rents on a nightly basis on weekends.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one night stay

First, I suggest calling Bistro Roca and making reservations. 828 295-4008. IF it is warm enough, go for the porch, but it does look like a chilly week.

If all else fails on a one night stay, there is the Holiday Inn Express in Boone, Crippens and Ragged Gardens both on Sunset in Blowing Rock.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,333 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one night stay

We have stayed at the Green Park Inn. Our experience wasn't great but your daughter would have loved it. We were there at Christmas a couple years ago & due to an ice storm a week before there were only about 3 other people staying in the entire hotel!. We were told by the front desk that the place has a ghost but we did not see any "apparitions" while there.

It is very old timey with the front desk area and much of the hotel very original. Our rooms were clean, the bathroom could have used some work. Not the greatest shower. The bad part for us was because of Christmas and the weather many people did not show up for work and the restaurant & bar was closed. We has also booked a massage which no one showed up for either. (We had asked if the restaurant would be open when we booked the room as we knew most restaurants in town would be closed). They did offer us a leftover turkey sandwhich from the kitchen for lunch. We had Cheez-its and wine for supper as there was nothing open. The continental breakfast was stale cereal and stale bagels / muffins. When we complained at check out they just shrugged and would not deduct anything from our bill.

Even if you don't stay here just to stop in and see the place is interesting. I posted some pics and did a review which is probably still on here.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to give you the whole story. I think for one night you would be fine here as long as you aren't expecting anything fancy.

8. Re: one night stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 25, 2009