We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout

Hello! We'll go to that area in August; we come from Belgium. After a few days in the Outer Banks, we plan to stay in Atlantic Beach. I'd like to go to Shackelford Banks (mostly to see the wild ponies) and also to Cape Lookout. I have read about ferries, but I don't really understand if it is possible to do both places on the same day, ot if we would need 2 days. Must we take 2 different ferries? Is the best place to take them in Beaufort? Is it a good idea to stay in Atlantic beach to do those day trips, or would it be better to stay in Beaufort? Or, as I have read, in another island (Harkers)? All this is a bit confused for us, so I hope taht you will be ale to help us. Thanks a lot.

4 replies to this topic
Washington DC
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout

Must we take 2 different ferries?

Yes, you will need to take two different ferries, two different routes. I beleive some leave from Downtown Morehead waterfront (which is right before you get to Beaufort from Atlantic Beach)

Is the best place to take them in Beaufort?

Morehead or Beaufort would be fine.

Is it a good idea to stay in Atlantic beach to do those day trips, or would it be better to stay in Beaufort?

I guess the question would be do you have transportation? If so then Atlantic Beach (AB) shouldnt be a problem. Check out Fort Macon (atlantic beach) and the Aquarium (pine knoll shores) as these are really great trips too.

Or, as I have read, in another island (Harkers)? All this is a bit confused for us, so I hope taht you will be ale to help us.

Harker's Island isn't really that touristy, I should say. Its a really quaint, cozy feeling of a small coastal enclave, you could take a drive down there or go horse back riding 'Down East' (thats what Harkers Island is referred too; Down East).

I recommend going to Shackelford Banks,call it Shack, everyone else does :) from Downtown Morehead or Beaufort. I would go to the Cape Lookout from Beaufort or Harkers Island if that makes sense.

I would google Shackelford Ferry and email these groups and tell them what you want to see and see if they can bundle you to save money. I saw one operator offering it for 25 USDand two for 15USD roudntrip, so do your homework to get the best solution for your needs.

Also, check out downtown Beaufort, a bunch of cool stuff to do there museums and the like. Morehead City also has The History Place which offers a unique look into the historical past of the area. Make sure to look for 'Rodney Kemp' and get him to tell you about the Promse'landers.

Atlantic Beach should be used for the Beach, Fort Macon and the Aquarium outside of that everywhere you want to go or need to go is all within 20 minutes or so.

Maybe even plan a daytrip to Wilmington as its always fun there!!!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout

Hi Disneydidl.

If you stay in Atlantic Beach, a day trip to Shakelford Banks and Cape Lookout is easily managed. It would require only one ferry trip, and you would actually pass by Shakelford Banks on the way.

You would drive to Harkers Island which is a very small community and take a ferry from one of the marinas there. We have always used Calico Jack's, but there is another that I'm not familiar with.

I read on another of your threads that you are interested in seeing the wild ponies, and just so you know there are opportunities in Corolla and on Ocracoke Island which I believe you mentioned .

The facilities on Cape Lookout are extremely limited, so be sure that you take adequate water and snacks as well as sunscreen.

Beaufort is a very interesting little village and is home to the restoration of Blackbeard's flagship as well as the wooden boat museum and some great boutique shopping. It is worth a look.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout

Thank you for your messages. This helps. We will have a car so it is not a problem to drive to get to Beaufort or any place close. Yes, we will try to see horses also in Corolla. Do you think we should book the ferries before going there, or is it possible to book just when we arrive? Maybe I'll do what

you suggested, VGtasticVoyage, and email them. We haven't booked the hotel in that area yet so we still can chose between Atlantic Beach or Morehead or Beaufort. I'll have a look again. Thanks again for helping us.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout

Disney, there are some nice B&B's in Beaufort. Check them out. Beaufort is a very walkable, lovely town. Some B&B's may even have some bicycles that you can use.

Oh, don't miss the North Carolina Maritime Museum. It is small but very nice.

http://www.ncmaritimemuseum.org/beaufort.html

Reply to: Help for Shackelford Banks and Cape Lookout
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort