We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Baggage Limits??

Near Central...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Baggage Limits??

Can anyone please advise as to what the baggage/carry on limits per person are? Also, are coolers with iced meats or chilled food allowed? We are planning to visit for about a week and would like to pack in ice and bring as much of our food as possible to avoid expensive groceries and eating out.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Baggage Limits??

Yes, coolers are allowed. You can't have any loose stuff. It all needs to be in suitcases, duffles, boxes or rubbermaid-type bins. There is a surcharge for oversized items, like if you want to bring a bike or a kayak. I can't recall a limit on per-person luggage. I think their website gives details, though if you want to be sure.

Shallotte, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Baggage Limits??

We just got back yesterday from a week on the island and there was no limit to the amount of baggage you could take over. It was our first time so I was a novice and took only one cooler, but many people not only took coolers but also large totes filled with groceries. I would strongly encourage bringing as many grocery items as possible as there is a considerable mark up at the grocery store. We were pleasantly surprised to see that wine and beer did not have a huge mark-up though. Make sure you have your items tagged and the lids taped closed. If you have loose items you can rent a tote to avoid carrying on to the ferry. Don't forget to make your tram reservations , they do a great job in taking all of your items to your destination. Have fun, we loved the island!

NC
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Baggage Limits??

There is a limit, but it's generous and I only am aware of it because of a newspaper article some time ago. If you're only bringing one vehicle to the ferry, it will definitely be under the limit. Meat, deli, ice cream are some of the things that are fairly high priced, but a lot of the dry goods and produce are quite reasonable at the market. We usually bring what fits in one box and one cooler and support the market with purchases for the rest. The market has a good selection of reasonably priced wine and no hard alcohol. Don't stress about the packing too much and enjoy your vacation!

4. Re: Ferry Baggage Limits??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 25, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Bald Head Island