We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Background on "the Eye" along W. Saugerties Rd.?

Which Woodstock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Background on "the Eye" along W. Saugerties Rd.?

Can someone tell me the story of how the Eye came to be carved into the rock hillside along W. Saugerties Rd. going north out of Woodstock? Drove that route last month and it had some of the most gorgeous Fall scenery ever! Couldn't find any info. on the Eye, so it must be known by another name... just curious about it.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Background on "the Eye" along W. Saugerties Rd.?

Curious. I think it's called 'earth art' but don't know the story behind it. Some interesting things up there. Have you heard about the amazing Opus 40? Took 40 years of work, hence the name: opus40.org. It's open occasionally.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Background on "the Eye" along W. Saugerties Rd.?

I hadn't heard of Opus 40--thanks very much for the info! It looks fantastic and I've added it to my "next trip" list, along with DIA: Beacon, Storm King Art Center and Wing's Castle. So many intriquing and unique art sites to visit in the Hudson/Catskills areas!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Background on "the Eye" along W. Saugerties Rd.?

Have you been to the town of Hudson? Lots of antigues and art galleries. And on the other side of the river is the town of Catskill which is becoming the upscale home improvement center, they say...actually very pricey home improvement in some stores.

4. Re: Background on "the Eye" along W. Saugerties Rd.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 14, 2009