Everything started out well enough. We had reservations for two nights and the day before arrival I received a nice e-mail from Linda the owner wishing us a safe arrival. We arrived at the rental and were immediately appalled by the smell of the place…. old and musty. This is an older home with many layers of paint and what appears to be flea market furnishings.
We came with food, planning to cook during our stay. However, there were two major issues. One, there is a bug repellant device plugged into the outlet to the left of the kitchen sink; and secondly, the photo and listing states that there is a microwave and there is not one in the rental. Wanting to make it a positive and make a memorable vacation experience we remained positive that day.
That night we slept in the front bedroom and our son slept in the back bedroom. The next morning my husband woke up early and went fly fishing. When my son and I woke up, we noticed that we had bug bites to the ankle, back, stomach. I inspected the beds and could not find traces of bed bugs, but did find huge dust bunnies under the bed.
My husband returned around noon and we discussed leaving because of the horrible experience at this rental. I contacted our next destination and thank goodness they were able to accommodate our arrival a day earlier than expected.
Upon leaving, I emailed Linda and explained the situation as politely as possible, sent her pictures of the bug bites and asked that she consider providing a refund of one nights rental, which I felt was more than reasonable. Linda argued that they were mosquitos bites and that she was unhappy about the note my 12 year old left in the guest book. I should also mention that during our stay of less than 24 hours we had 3 separate visitors approach the rental, one of which Linda had brought to view the adjacent rental. Linda knocked on the door to introduce herself, which was a little shocking since she seemed a little unstable and had grass in her hair.
This property is misrepresented in it’s amenities, is furnished with flea market furniture, has an odor and also an issue with bugs in the kitchen and beds. The owner, Linda, promised to provide a refund of one night’s rental but as of today that still has not been received.
I am sure that there are decent places to stay in Woodstock, NY. Unfortunately, this is not one of them and travelers should be aware when booking.