We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed please

London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Help needed please

Hi all

My mum and dad are flyiing into NY(JFK) in November for 5 days for a family party which is taking place in White Plains, could you recommend a nice/safe area for them to stay say an hour or so away from JFK airport but which is also central to a main subway station if they decided they wanted to go to the Bronx or get a connection into manhattan.

p.s I have been recommended New Rochell so far.

Thanks in advance

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed please

If the party is in White Plains, why not stay in White Plains? There are a few hotels there, and White Plains is generally a nice/safe place to stay.

There are no subways in White Plains or in Westchester as a whole. The plus about some parts of Westchester County (including White Plains and New Rochelle) is that the Metro North train is rather efficient. White Plains is a busy stop on the Metro North train, and there is frequent train service to/from Manhattan (including a line of taxis at the station to bring you back to your hotel, if needed). If you catch an express train from White Plains, you can be at Grand Central Terminal in about 34 minutes.

Also, White Plains has many restaurants and a couple of shopping centers, in case your family wanted to occupy their time in White Plains. But, it is very easy to get into Manhattan, as explained above.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
759 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed please

By the way, as an alternate, if your parents just needed to go to White Plains for one night for the party, they could just stay in NYC and take the Metro North from Grand Central to White Plains and back again. It is an easy trip.

Also, if choosing between New Rochelle and White Plains, I would personally prefer White Plains.

London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed please

Sounds perfect, I wasnt sure what White Plains was like, sothank you so much for your help will pass the information on.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed please

Hi, many places to stay in white plains, Trump plaza, near the train station. Crowne plaza is close by where is the party.? Ct. Will take them to either hotel hotel. On rte 119 taxi or car is the Marriott or courtyard, etc hotels. White plains s a safe,great city.

Edited: 2:10 pm, September 26, 2011
White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,497 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed please

Hi, many places to stay in white plains, Trump plaza, near the train station. Crowne plaza is close by where is the party.? Ct. Will take them to either hotel hotel. On rte 119 taxi or car is the Marriott or courtyard, etc hotels. White plains s a safe,great city.

Edited: 2:11 pm, September 26, 2011
London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed please

Hiya

The venue is Colonial Mansion, route 22 White Plains,

thank you very much for your recommendations, very helpful it sounds perfect for them and also quite straightforward to get into Manhattan for the day, only wish I was going now....

thank you again

Reply to: Help needed please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted