We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rottnest Island from Station

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rottnest Island from Station

I arrive on the Indian Pacific train at East Perth Station at 9.10am and wish to catch a ferry to Rottnest. I'll miss the 8.30 from Barrack St Jetty so where should I catch one? Also are there luggage storage facilities in the station?

Many thanks.

Pauline.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rottnest Island from Station

Welcome to TA, Pauline.

As you say, there is only one ferry per day from Barrack Street but many from Fremantle.

Your quickest and easiest option would be to jump into a taxi & catch the ferry @ 10.30 or 11.30 from B Shed in Fremantle. There will be many taxis out the front of the station. It will cost you around $60 according to the Swan Taxi Fare Calculator.

Sorry but there are no storage facilities at the Interstate Rail Terminal, nor at the B Shed.

From a public transport perspective, there is a train on the Thornlie line, which stop at Claisebrook (adjacent platforms to East Perth Terminal ) which you could catch at 9.25am, 9.40am or 9.55am through to the City and then from there, change to Fremantle and walk to the B Shed. Total time around an hour It is an approx 500m walk from the Freo train station to the ferry.

Cost - $4 (cash).

Edited: 4:00 pm, January 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rottnest Island from Station

Or from East Perth stn where the IP stops - catch a train to Perth central station and drop the luggage off in the lockers at the visitors centre. Then catch train to Freo. Not as fast as taxi but gives the luggage a home for the day.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rottnest Island from Station

Thank you so much, it's a real help.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rottnest Island from Station

I'd catch the train for sure. Then get the ferry from Freo - will save you a significant amount of cash. How long are you going to Rotto for?

5. Re: Rottnest Island from Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, June 02, 2014