We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on Rottnest Island

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
One day on Rottnest Island

We, 3 adults, are going to the island in December.

There are a couple of things are still confusing me:

1. Can the ticket for ferry between Perth city and Rottnest be purchased at the pier? What's the price for a return ticket? And 9:30 departure 4:30 return reasonable schedule?

2. We are not really into guided tours. So hiring a bike or taking the bus sounds good. So is it possible just ride around those beaches? What about all the attractions like the light tower or the cannon, do we need tickets for them?

3. Can we swim anywhere? If we want to snorkel, do we need to hire the gear or free for use?

More questions may be coming up.

Thanks a lot for your advice!! :)

perth
Level Contributor
309 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

As to best ride/ bus route depends on weather, wind direction and your wishes. If you take Bayseeked bus ask driver as to which bays are best for a swim/ snorkel that day as many bays are protected from certain wind directions.Unless you are keen cyclists I believe the bus is best for the day trip. Reasons are time getting bikes and continual hills. My advice would be to arrive on Island, take bayseeker bus to Little Salmon Bay for snorkel then maybe next stop City of York Bay for another swim. Then get bus to Geordie Bay and walk back to settlement via The Basin / Pinky Beach and Bathurst Lighthouse. Make sure you take water and food for bus trip. The museum at main settlement is interesting if you have 20 minutes to spare. Oh, and don't forget that drink at the pub before catching ferry home.

Having said all that I love cycling around the Island and the west end (Cape Vlamingh) which you cannot reach by bayseeker bus is beautiful..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

Thanks mate! That really helps.

Yeah I guess bus would be a more ideal option. But we will see how the hills are like when we arrive that day. Are we allowed on bus if we are in wet swim wear?

Thanks for the routine.

Can we take bus to the nearest point to the far west, like near Narrow Neck? and then walk to the end?

Can water and food be purchased on the island or do we have to get them in Perth before we leave?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

And any must see lakes?

perth
Level Contributor
309 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

yes you can take bayseeker bus to Narrow Neck and walk to West End but a long walk and if only there one day I would not recommend.

bus drivers are very relaxed but for sake of next passengers best not to be too wet or sandy

plenty of food options at main settlement (Thompson Bay) plus there is a general store (and sometimes cafe) at Geordie Bay. If riding or bayseeker bus take plenty of water with you.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

It's about 3-4km from Narrow Neck to West End, not too hilly so I guess it depends on your level of fitness. The lakes in the middle are very salty, if you look closely you can find sea monkeys (sorry can't remember the scientific name, but really they're not that gripping anyway) and the odd water bird. You can't swim in them.

Up towards Kingstown Barracks is a wetlands walk which is on a raised board walk- interesting if nature walks appeal.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

we have adults who do not know how to ride bike and kids ( age 4-7), what can we do and spend on Rottnest island ? What is the best method for us to explore this island in safe and fun way ? Thanks !

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

There is a hop-on hop-off bus which circles the island on a regular route.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
122 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

Hi

We're visiting WA to see our 27 year old son in July. We have 5 days with him, and unsure how to spend it. Thinking perhaps 2 nights on Rottnest island, and 3 nights in Fremantle, but also considering areas within 3 hours drive of Perth. Any idea what Rottnest island is like in July? We like nice scenery, but not much into wildlife, and my son and husband would enjoy visiting a brewery or two! We don't want to travel to different accommodation each night. Any advise greatly appreciated in advance.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

Hi im nisa from Malaysia. I will be visiting Perth in Sept from 6-10 Sept. Since i have a one day of free slot, I am planning to give Rotto a visit. Is it possible to reach the light house using the free shuttle bus "Bayseeker bus'? I dont plan to cycle because it is not suitable for us with our 1 y old infant. Do you guys suggesting for the discovery bus tour (Rottnest express package) which i think quite expensive :(

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

The walk from the bus stop to the lighthouse is about 500m up a steep hill.

I believe you can rent baby seats and child trailers for bikes if you do want to cycle.

PS The Bayseeker is not free, you have to buy tickets.

Edited: 10:14 am, July 13, 2014