We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on Rottnest Island

Which Rottnest Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
One day on Rottnest Island

We, 3 adults, are going to the island in December.

There are a couple of things are still confusing me:

1. Can the ticket for ferry between Perth city and Rottnest be purchased at the pier? What's the price for a return ticket? And 9:30 departure 4:30 return reasonable schedule?

2. We are not really into guided tours. So hiring a bike or taking the bus sounds good. So is it possible just ride around those beaches? What about all the attractions like the light tower or the cannon, do we need tickets for them?

3. Can we swim anywhere? If we want to snorkel, do we need to hire the gear or free for use?

More questions may be coming up.

Thanks a lot for your advice!! :)

perth
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

1. You can usually buy ticket at the terminal but in Dec it can sell out in advance. Check out Rottnest Express website for prices and maybe call them in advance to see if heavily booked. Sometimes you can get discounted tickets on website.You may wish to consider leaving from Perth City and returning to Fremantle as the river trip is great one way but very long to do twice in one day. If flexible on dates try to pick a day when winds aren't too strong.

2. Hiring a bike or bayseeked bus are great options. Bear in mind the island is hilly so a good level of fitness is best. if cycling. The Bayseeker bus is a hop off/ hop on bus service that cost s about $11 for a day ticket. It takes you to popular beaches but does not take you to west end or tunnels/ guns. There are 2 lighthouses you can visit (outside only) plus you can ride to guns. The gun/ tunnel tour is good but does cost. The self walk gun tour at Kingstown is interesting but beware of snakes. When you arrive at island there are volunteer guides that will give you info re free tours or walks.

3. many great swimming spots and most places safe to swim. Popular spots are The Basin and Little Salmon though can get crowded. Little Salmon is great for snorkelling as is Parker Point. Not hard to find a quiet beach. Snorkelling gear is not free to use, I would recommend buying before you go.

An afternoon beer at the Rottnest Hotel is a must in my opinion.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

Great advice given by RichieR. Just to add, you can easily take the train back to Perth from Fremantle. The ferry berths at B shed which is a quick walk to train station. If you are on a tight budget I suggest you take some food and drink as it can be an expensive,albeit great day trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

RichieR & JeanPerth thanks guy!

1. So I assume the Rottnest Express is the only or major ferry carrier there right?

2. So you suggest we take ferry as Perth--Rottnest--Fremantle(B Shed)?

3. We are just interested in taking some photos with the towers and guns on the outside. Not so much into history. So there is no need to take those guided tours right?

4. Is there a shop on the island where we can hire snorkel gear?

5. I assume there is shower/change room facility on the island right?

Thanks again! Can't believe I never been to WA. hahaha...

perth
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

1. Yes, from Perth the only option is Rottest Express.

2. Yes. You can then either train back to Perth or spend some time in Freo

3. Yep, no need to take tours as you can ride to see guns, lighthouses free of charge. The Lighthouse at Bathurst is very easy to get to plus next to lovely beach (Pinkies).

4. Yes, a full snorkel set (snorkel, goggle, fins) is $21 per day. I think you now hire these from Bike Shop.

5. Plenty of shower/ change rooms in main settlement plus scattered about Island at various locations (Longreach, Basin, Army Jetty etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

Sweet!

Do you have any suggestions for us while we are on the island? like must-sees, nice spots/beaches, best ride/bus route...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

Jason you may be over estimating how big the island is !!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

When cycling around be aware that you may encounter dugites (highly poisonous snakes) near or on the roads so keep your eyes peeled. One thing we like to do is to go all the way out to West End and hang around for a while to see if any dolphins or whales happen by. But the best part is getting a little out of the main settlements and then it almost seems as if you are on your own private island....

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

The basin is my favourite swimming spot on Rottnest - beautiful and safe!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

haha...snakes...nice!

I thought it was a big island! It's big enough to have an airport!!!hahaha...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day on Rottnest Island

An "airport" for tiny 4 seater planes ! - basically a small runway ie dirt track.

www.rottnestisland.com/travel-to/by-air

And it would take you longer to get to Jandakot airport that in would to then fly to Rotto - tho it is a great view from up there.

And yep plenty of snakes at this time of year - last time I took visiting friends the tour bus accidently ran over two at the same time.