We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
525 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

Hi, is it possible to get to Rottnest by train from Perth CBD for a day trip? Not great on boats so trying to find another way!!

Thanks, Helen

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

Sorry, but no. Rottnest is an island. Only accessible via boat or plane.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

FYI - I took the Rottnest Express boat from Perth to Rotto a few months back and the sea crossing (from Fremantle to Rottnest) was SERIOUSLY rough. Barf bags were distributed prior to departure, which was a major tip off. For me, it was thirty minutes of bone jarring, careening, white knuckle hell (I don't like boats either, go figure). If you're prone to seasickness, you'll want some motion sickness tablets, ginger...or something.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

Thank you - not a good option for me then! Appreciated :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,767 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

I get terribly seasick but Kwells travel sickness tablets (available from pharmacies) taken half an hour before the trip sort things out nicely.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

You can fly...

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,767 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

Mel mentioned that in post #1.

The cost of flight depends on the number of passengers in the plane, as the cost of hiring the whole plane is divided among the number of passengers in it. Even assuming the plane is full it it substantially more expensive than the ferry, as you might expect.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

Ooops missed that..perhaps it was the um...shock of the question..

YF I had actually done all the consideration of flights to Rottnest when we came for Redbull Inaugural so was fully aware of costs etc. In the scheme of flight charters plus the convenience of DIY sometimes a flight is a bonus (a lot of the Qld islands offer flight transfers for the seasick.seashy pax) the rotto one isn't too bad at $330 return, considering I've been looking at Barossa Tours by Limo and many of them are coming in well above that closer to $500 8~O

It's always worthwhile for OPs to give alternatives...

Edited: 8:56 pm, January 10, 2012
8. Re: Getting to Rottnest by train from Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, November 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rottnest Island