We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

Perth
Level Contributor
183 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

Hi there

Having looked on qantas website and not finding any info, I will hope that my fellow TA'S will be able to help, we are traveling qantas perth to exmouth in a few weeks and wish to take with us some frozen meat, does anyone know if you can carry this on a flight and wether it has to go in checked or carry on and how to carry it, in a esky or polystyrene box? Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

Hmmm all I could find was the dangerous goods list which mentioned dry ice etc. It would be better to speak direct to Qantas Regional staff.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

I often carry frozen food on planes, generally in checked but also in the carry-on ... I can't ever remember being asked anything about it by security or anybody.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

I have carried frozen mud crabs from Darwin to Melbourne on Jetstar. I took them in a foam esky and had ice inside a sealed plastic bag ( one of those zip lock ones).

The airline checked it out and was happy as long as it wasn't going to leak on other luggage (hence the sealed bag). They just put a bit of extra tape around the lid and all good.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

Really the only restriction in place refers to dry ice where there is a limit. If you pack your frozen food in a small esky with frozen liquid ice packs you will be fine to take it on board. Note that your esky or container will count towards your cabin baggage limit. If you do carry a small esky you will be asked if it contains dry ice, this is a routine question to avoid dangerous goods being brought on board. Just explain you have ice packs and not dry ice. Ensure ice packs dont leak. Another tip is to wrap your frozen food in a towel before packing.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

Only food items i have seen with specific airline transport guidelines have been eskies of fish and trays of fresh mangoes at Broome.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't have any problems. Weight and bulk considerations may favour packing in your checked luggage - wrap in a beach towel with frozen blocks to maximise the cold retention and to shield from other packed items of course. We found the food prices were not that much higher in Exmouth supermarkets than Perth when we last checked as they have a decent residential population - about 4.5 thousand people live there (unlike Coral Bay where everything was outrageously expensive).

There is a jetty on the coast near the Learmonth airport where fishing is supposed to be good too.

6. Re: Carrying frozen food on perth to exmouth qantas flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 05, 2015