We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliability stats for flights

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Reliability stats for flights

Any stats available on the reliability of flights to St marys airport?

What causes flights to be cancelled?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Reliability stats for flights

You sound like a spokesman for Skybus!! As someone with no connection to any business, i know from speaking to people on Scilly that they are very worried about the appauling service from Skybus this winter. Yes the chopper broke down way too often but it did fly in much worse weather than the lightweight Skybuses. The situation at Lands End airport(which reopened today after 2 months of closure) has been disgraceful. What decent airline uses a grass runway in the 21st century? Fog is a big problem, i have been delayed several times and judging by local radio reports there are significant delays on many days not just a few, though obviously not a fault of the airline.

The helicopter service cannot be subsidised because a private company ie Skybus is running the same route presumably at a profit. If there was no air link the government would have to step in (or if the Scillies were in Scotland!!-always plenty of subsidies for their islands)

Anyway, hopefully Skybus have turned the corner and can provide a reliable service for the poor islanders from now on.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Cornwall
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reliability stats for flights

Not a spokesperson for Skybus, just fed up of seeing them take a battering when they have gone out of their way to provide a service despite the dreadful weather we've had this winter.

Lots of smaller airports have grass runways, and there has never been any justification for tarmacking the runways at Land's End before (according to the press it will cost upwards of £1m) as there have been very few days where waterlogging has been an issue there. As I said earlier, the rain that we've had in west Cornwall this winter is unprecedented in recent times, and this is the first time in the airport's history that it has had to close for more than a week for any reason (as reported in the Cornishman last week).

I think that it's highly unfair to say that Skybus have provided an appalling service - they seem to have been flying without major delays or cancellations on the vast majority of days this winter (and given the weather that's an achievement in itself). Not only that, they have also transported all passengers booked to fly from Land's End to Newquay free of charge. Given the taxi costs and the cost of the extra fuel for a flight hat is twice as long, there is no way that they can have made a profit whilst Land's End has been closed, but they decided to operate at a loss as they did not want to let their passengers down. Any other airline, your beloved helicopter included, would have just cancelled the tickets and not flown at all.

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Reliability stats for flights

I have been very critical of the helicopter service in the past on here. Its cost me hours even days stranded on Tresco because of its frequent breakdowns.

So, i was never its biggest fan, though i do miss it now its gone.

The thing was, if the chopper broke down, passengers were transferred to Skybus or Scillonian. If Skybus couldn't fly because of the wind,passengers were transferred to the helicopter. So there was a back up, and now thats gone. The fact is the chopper kept the link open in the winter more successfully than the plane. Now that the worst of the weather is hopefully over i'm sure the service will be fine.

I would imagine the last thing Skybus want is for a similar situation next winter, where as you say they must be losing money using Newquay for all flights.

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Reliability stats for flights

And with many thanks to us the taxpayer for providing Government funding to hard surface the runway.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
300 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Reliability stats for flights

Indeed, but transport is a public good and not only a private one.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Reliability stats for flights

As I have said before, no-one could have imagined how Scilly's post-helicopter vulnerability would have been exposed so quickly and so graphically. The answer is to Tarmac Land's End airport and force Skybus to open up to competition. Nowhere else (of significance) would this airport/airline owner monopoly be tolerated.

Edited: 6:50 am, February 25, 2013
Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Reliability stats for flights

As Skybuses parent company as far as i know own Lands End airport, they wouldn't want another airline flying from there which is fair enough. But there is nothing to stop another company flying from Newquay or any other airport to Scilly. Likewise, if another firm wanted to run a helicopter service,they could, but not from Lands End. Its going to be very difficult to make money from this route without subsidies with a complex, low capacity helicopter.

I'm sure British International wouldn't have pulled out if they were making a profit on the route.

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Reliability stats for flights

Perhaps following modern competition practice is not your strength. In the same way as gas and electricity are privatised - obviously one company sends the stuff down the pipe but there is competition between those who sell it. So you force Skybus to sell the airport to a separate company who then allow the airport to be opened up to competetion. That way you keep profits at a sensible level, fares down and passenger numbers up overall. The fat and the lazy go to the wall. That would be the biggest boost to getting passenger numbers back up.

19. Re: Reliability stats for flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, April 11, 2017
Get answers to your questions about St Mary's