We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day on St Mary's

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
one day on St Mary's

day six of our cruise (day 5 was Dublin and all sorted there), this will be Thursday 14th July. No need for a car here so I am thinking that if the weather is good we will just walk, we have to be back on board by 19.00. Anyone any suggestions as to what they would do with just one day?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day on St Mary's

Hi

Lots of choices, especially if its good weather.

I would probably take a boat trip to one of the other islands, as they have so much more character than ST Marys, though theres certainly nothing wrong with spending the day on St Marys.

There will be plenty of trips on offer at the quay. Tresco is a good option, but really walking on any of the islands and appreciating the beauty and maybe having lunch at a pub would be a very pleasant day.

You can certainly walk the coast on ST Marys if you don't fancy a boat trip.

Several little shops and cafes to enjoy as well on St Marys.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day on St Mary's

If the weather is a bit iffy the museum is very interesting. It's a lot bigger inside than it looks from the outside.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day on St Mary's

The boat trip is a good idea, a different experience. Tresco if you like gardens. Or Bryher and walk to Hell Bay. Give you something to think about when you rejoin the cruise as a lot of boats went down there! A walk around St Mary's is also worthwhile.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day on St Mary's

We spent a day (well, about 7 hours) on St Marys several years ago. We managed to find a map (locally produced leaflets) with several highlighted walks of varying lengths around different parts of the island. We took the one that led us past the Castle Hotel (where we had a lovely lunch) and off onto one of the beaches before finding a nice pub for a quick drink before re-boarding the ferry we had come on.

We managed to pass the time with no problem ... it was a gloriously hot day, though. Not sure what we'd have done if it had been miserable.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day on St Mary's

thanks, everyone.for the suggestions,

I think we will hope for good weather and just walk, may be getting a bit fed up with sailing by now. My file is nearly full, I will have one suitcase for clothes and one for books and maps!!!

6. Re: one day on St Mary's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 11, 2016
Get answers to your questions about St Mary's