We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri in November?

Which Anacapri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Capri in November?

Everything I have read says that it is worthwhile spending a night in Capri to get the true feel of the place, after the daytrippers leave. However, we will be visiting in late November.

Do you recommend a night here? Or just a daytrip at that time of year? Are restaurants open for dinner?

We will be staying in Sorrento or Furore. We thought we would spend 3 nights on the mainland and then the last night in Capri, but could change that to 4 nights on the mainland and take a day trip to Capri.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri in November?

I have only been to Capri in the winter for day trips. I has there twice in Feb 2007, and a lot of the shops were closed down, but we did not have any trouble finding a place to eat for lunch at least.

In the winter it was not crowded any where. One day we spent most of the day walking to Villa Jovis and enjoying the ruins. The scenery was spectacular.

We stayed in Anacapri for 8 days in May 2008 and really enjoyed ourselves.

I'd sty the night if you got a chance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri in November?

Thanks very much! Very useful info.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri in November?

Weather could be inclement in November affecting ferry service - Begin with Capri, or day trip on a good weather day from Sorrento.

Vagabonda

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri in November?

If you luck out with the weather and sea conditions, a night on Capri can be very rewarding, even in late November. There are several hotels that remain open all year, and since there are 13,000 of us who live on the island year-round, there's obviously lots of restaurants and pub-like places that cater to our needs. While it's true that most of the shops will be closed for, this would be the time to enjoy the island's nature, walking the trails up and over the mountain, or along the south or western coast. Try to arrive early in the day and leave as late as possible the following day. Good luck!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri in November?

I am not sure how inclement the weather has to get to suspend ferry service fron Sorrento to Naples in the winter. In Feb 2007 is was raining some days when we boarded the ferry and they left on time.

The one time the ferry was late was the caremar ferry out of Ischia to Naples. It was sunny and the water was not rough, but the ferry sat in the harbor for 25 min after it was scheduled to leave. We missed the last hydrofoil fron Naples to Sorrento and had to take a shuttle bus back to Sorrento.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capri in November?

Rough seas happen - more in winter than summer. Rarely will the sea be rough enough to cause suspension of ferry service, but the catamarans and hydrofoils frequently stop "for technical reasons" when the wind is up, particularly from the southwest or west, causing the sea to roll with white waves.

There is NO ferry service between Naples and Sorrento, only cats and hydrofoils. This does not change in the summer. The Caremar ferry still runs on the Sorrento-Capri line, four times a day, year-round (along with a number of cats and hydrofoils). Between Capri and Naples there are six Caremar ferries daily year-round, along with the usual collection of cats and hydrofolils belonging to other companies. The only "guaranteed" service is the state-owned Caremar ferries which need exceptionally high seas to cancel a run. Happens only once or twice a year. When the sea is rough you may get sick but at least you get where you wanto to go!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Capri in November?

Grazie settecento – Unfortunately I have experienced very rough seas going to Capri, so faced with the same situation in the future, I would have to seriously contemplate if it would be worth getting there feeling as sick as I did.

Vagabonda

8. Re: Capri in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 08, 2010