We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Long Island
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

We will have an afternoon in St. Emilion as part of a tour on a Sunday in the third week of July. We will be going on a half-day excursion to St. Emilion so we therefore will have the afternoon to to see the town. Please give me recommendations as to restaurants and what sites we should go to in the afternoon that we will have. It would also be useful to have directions to thes sites and to know if certain ones would be closed after a certain time. Thank you very much for any advise you can give,

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

St Emilion is a small place and easy to walk around, and I found it very friendly, even though rather touristy and somewhat expensive. It's very easy to explore on foot, although steep in parts.

There are some guided tours in English (check the timings, but in July they will do some in the afternoon) as described in this English language website, which also gives info on other things to do/see:

saint-emilion-tourisme.com/uk/que-faire.html…

As regards restaurants, we just walked past them and chose one we liked.

St Emilion is so very pretty - enjoy your short time!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Hi, joe,

I see all your posts about your various stops on this tour and must suggest that you start doing some research of your own. Get hold of some guidebooks, look at maps of the places you are headed to, familiarize yourself with the various things there are to see and do and how to get around among them. I've been to every single place you're asking about, but it seems a bit much to spend a lot of my time answering questions you could answer yourself. There's a wealth of information out there, and more readily available than ever before, on the internet. When you have a basic grasp of each of these places, the attractions, and how to get around, people here will be happy to answer specific questions.

Long Island
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

OK, will do

Long Island
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Thank you very much for the information you provided and specifically giving me the tourist site to review.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Joe, there are tourist offices in every place you're headed. Googling them would be a good place to start. They usually have a wealth of information.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,931 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

We had a wonderfull meal at Le Huitre Pie. Then we visited a wine merchant and sent a case back to the US for family, a great way to spend an afternoon.

Edited: 6:51 pm, April 05, 2013
Long Island
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Thanks for the information.

Long Island
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

A must see is obviously the monolithic church and the hermitage of Saint Emilion.

Then the (small) King's tower from there the vendanges - grape harvest - are declared open by the Jurade and the less known pottery museum - it is a huge underground museum so I am not sure if you will have enogh time to visit.

If you just want to make the most out of a short visit there is a small road train that proposes a 35 minutes commented visit of Saint Emilion and its surroundings.

southweststory.com/tourist-attractions/saint…

www.oenotourisme-saintemilion.com/fr_FR/

HTH,

Carla

Long Island
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Emilion sites to see in afternoon and restaurants.

Thank you for the specific information and the websites. You have been very helpful