We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tambopata or Iquitos?

New Castle NH
Level Contributor
91 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Tambopata or Iquitos?

We have 4-5 days where our group wants a look at some more pristine jungle with good wildlife, good guides, jungle walks, etc. We either go 130 km out of Iquitos to the Otorongo Lodge or pick one of the places out of Tambopata. Input on which of these areas may be more interesting would be much appreciated. We have a further program out of Cusco but don't mind the trip in/out of Iquitos if it's worthwhile.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tambopata or Iquitos?

I don't think Otorongo would be worth a separate trip to Iquitos if you are already in Cusco and only have a few days.. Reading the reviews (and having stayed at a competing lodge in the area) it seems that you get great personal attention but the activities and wildlife sighting are average and typical, and you can probably do all of this at almost any lodge. You would most likely see, monkeys, sloths, bats, frogs, dolphin (pink ones) and birds, fishing for piranha. But they do not have a canopy excursion. It is unlikely you will see any larger mammals. If you see macaws they are either tame or distant, ie no clay licks.

Edited: 8:43 pm, August 12, 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tambopata or Iquitos?

www.otorongoexpeditions.com

Only TRUE Amazon experience is in Iquitos if you have time...

www.inkanatura.com www.manuadventures.com best for wildlife

out of Cusco www.inkaterra.com TamboPata nice lodge

wildlife not as good

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tambopata or Iquitos?

Well yes of course in Iquitos you will see the actual Amazon River.

Also I liked my visit to Belen market.

But OP is asking about more pristine jungle with good guides and I think you can find that by selecting wisely near Cusco.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tambopata or Iquitos?

We just returned from a 5 night/6 day program with Rainforest Expeditions. We had two nights at Refugio Amazonas, two nights at Tambopata Research Centre and another night at Refugio Amazonas on the way back. We cannot recommend the programs, the lodges and the guides highly enough. They were fantastic. We didn't see any "large" animals but we saw caiman, capybara, agoutis, tayra, peccaries, five kinds of monkeys, a ton of birds, tarantulas, butterflies, etc. We spent a morning at the Colca clay lick by TRC and saw thousands of macaws and parrots. Really incredible. /And/ we saw a number of animals and birds from our rooms at both lodges. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure you might be able to see more from Iquitos, but honestly, if you're in Cusco and you're just interested in seeing rainforest and a lot of wildlife, Tambopata will fit the bill.

New Castle NH
Level Contributor
91 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tambopata or Iquitos?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer me.

I just want to clarify, we actually fly into Lima and the jungle trip is the start of several weeks in Peru. It preceeds our time in Cusco and 7 day trek out of there.

What this means is, the possibility of going to Iquitos is not a question of going there from Cusco,but rather from Lima, then down to Cusco. Or we go from Lima down to Cusco and then onto a jungle options from there.

So those who advised to not take the long trip to iquitos if we're in Cusco, well, it's not really so long. Further clarification is solicited if you have any extra time to do that.

Thanks again to all.

6. Re: Tambopata or Iquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 11, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Tambopata National...