We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

we are headed to RA Oct 15 for 3 nights. We will take some mosquito repellant 25% Deet, but have heard about people getting itchy red welts on their legs. I'm pretty sure they couldn't be bed bugs, but are they noseeums? or sand flies? If so, any suggestions to avoid getting them?

Thanks

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

Sand flies and no-see-ums are the same thing. I've had good luck against both with Cutter Advanced with picaridin and a product called Cactus Juice. DEET was formulated to repel mosquitos and often has little effect against sand flies unless applied as a lotion or oily barrier.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

Minimize the amount of exposed skin. To the extent that is tolerable in the climate, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks; and tuck your shirt into your pants. Apply insect repellent to exposed (uncovered) skin and under the ends of sleeves and pant legs. Follow the instructions on the label of the repellent. The most effective repellents are those that contain the chemical DEET (N,N-diethylmetatoluamide).

Tracy, CA
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

I was at Refugio Amazonas this past July for 3 nights. The lodge does a pretty good job in keeping the mosquitos away from the lodge itself, but they'll be out in force on the trails.

I sprayed my clothes with 100% DEET (jungle juice) and used Ultra-Thon on skin. It helped a lot, though I did get bit a few times.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

Thanks to all for your advice. I was not familiar with the produce "Cutter Advanced with picaridin", but I googled it and have ordered now ordered it. So, hope it gets here before I leave. If not, maybe we can pick up some or the Cactus or Jungle Juice once we are there. Thanks again.

5. Re: Bug bites at Refugio Amazonas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, March 28, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tambopata National...