We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding Libertador Tambopata 4/3 Tour or Wasai Tambopata

New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding Libertador Tambopata 4/3 Tour or Wasai Tambopata

We are 2 couples in our 60's who have to decide between these 2 lodges/programs. We have 4 days and 3 nights and wanted to be close to the Chuncho clay lick. We would appreciate any advice you may have. It seems like the Liberator is a nicer lodge but the collpa is farther away and requires a night on the beach. Wasai is closer to the clay lick but perhaps the lodge is not as nice. Wasai seems to offer only one opportunity to view the macaws because on the 3rd day we head back to Wasai Puerto Maldonado Lodge and visit Sandoval Lake. Advice would be very much appreciated!

U.S.
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding Libertador Tambopata 4/3 Tour or Wasai Tambopata

I stayed at the Libertador in May, and can recommend them, but I don't know anything about Wasai. We had planned to visit the Chuncho clay lick also, but our Libertador guide informed us the lick was not currently active at the time, for an unknown reason. He spent the evening we arrived at our beach camp seeking out other smaller licks within walking distance, and the next morning we hiked from camp at 4am to a small lick where we were rewarded with the sight of a few parrots and macaws. It wasn't what we had hoped for, not the cacophony of color and sound as you read the Chuncho being described, but it was still an adventure in its own right. As I said, I can recommend Libertador. The accommodations are comfortable, and the food is good. But I would advise keeping your expectations low for the clay lick.

2. Re: Deciding Libertador Tambopata 4/3 Tour or Wasai Tambopata

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tambopata National...