We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you choose independant jungle guides/tours?

Essex, UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can you choose independant jungle guides/tours?

After advice from xochitl and other forum posts, we are looking at staying at either Inkaterra Lodge or Possanda Amazonas in the Tambopata area... BUT

Can we choose a tour-guide that is willing to take smaller groups... rather than joining a large group that is maybe very organised and regimental?

Once at these lodges, are you obliged to take whatever tours they offer? Are there even any other options?

Also, how booked up do these places/tours get? Could a group of 5 blokes turn up in mid June and find a decent tour-guide?

We will be booking the lodge (and return flight from Cusco) in the next few days!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you choose independant jungle guides/tours?

Hi--

We too were looking at some of these lodges. Then, we decidied to look at the possibility of Manu trips. The one thing that kept bothering us was the idea of being in a long string of tourists walking through the jungle on a wildlife walk. Plus, all of the lodges' itineraries started to run together and look similar. So, I started to look at lodges in the Iquitos area instead. I do not know how much time you are talking about, so this may not work our for you.

We found this lodge (it has superb reviews) out of Iquitos where you choose your own activities every day and go out with your personal guide.

http://www.perujungle.com/itinerary.html

We will be doing a 6D/5N trip with them. The one downside to going all the way up to Iquitos is that there is no flight from Iquitos directly to Cusco. You need to take two separate legs. Plus, timing of the flights is not too great. We are from the US where most flights arrive in Lima very late at night. We plan to take the very early flight the next morning to Iquitos. At the end of our stay at the lodge we will spend the night in Iquitos and then take the early morning flight to Lima, transferring to a flight to Cusco, and arriving late morning.

Essex, UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you choose independant jungle guides/tours?

Thanks for that, but sadly we haven't the time to fly up to Iquitos and back although I did look into it for the very same reasons you mention.

Has anyone got any advice on the Tambopata region trips/guides?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you choose independant jungle guides/tours?

We returned home Sunday from spending 4days/3nights at Inkaterra and we loved it. Our group consisted of 4 people and there were a couple of times where it was only my husband, myself and the guide.

Inkaterra has activities that you can choose from which I would consider not very challenging, but fun. The most popular activities is Lake Sandoval and there was a group of about 15 people, but they broke us into smaller groups when we were in the canoes.

The cabins were nice and the food was good. The staff was attentive. We met some wonderful people from all over the world.

Norcalgirl

4. Re: Can you choose independant jungle guides/tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Tambopata National...