We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to Ishasha or not?

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Go to Ishasha or not?

Hi All,

Im going to be in Uganda for December for two weeks.

I have allocated three nights to spend in QENP. My question is whether it is worth it to spend one of those 3 nights in Ishasha or whether to skip it. It seems to me that the advantage of going to is that it would break up the trip to Bwindi and give me a chance to see tree lions. However, there seems to be SO much to do in the main part of QENP that i might not have time for in 2 nights. Please advise based on your experiences. Thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Farmington, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

My personal experience is that tourists get excited about Ishasha when they hear about these infamous Tree Climbing lions. They are obviously cool to see but hard to find. Please use your judgment accordingly.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,609 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

I agree. There is so much more to see in Ishsaha sector than a few cats up trees, which do occur elsewhere in East and no doubt the rest of Africa. Cute as a curiosity and interesting photo angles but after about 15 minutes you are looking for something else to keep you amused.

Farmington, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

Mfuwe you are agreeing with me. That's hard to believe. (just kidding...)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,609 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

I know but not so hard to believe in the circumstances.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

Well we didn't see any cats when we went...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,609 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

Well we had them right in front of us on the road as well as up trees. Later two more jumped up out of the grass by the track just by the turn off to Wilderness Camp. I once saw three males climb a very small Acacia tree where there was hardly room for one. That was also the bit of track, overlooking the valley just before Wilderness turn off.

They are there but you have to spend time on Game Drives and not in the Bar or by the Pool.

I have also seen Serval and Leopard in Ishasha but my favourites are the friendly Ellies..

(Welcome back Mukyala S.)

Edited: 1:43 pm, August 06, 2013
Amman, Jordan
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Go to Ishasha or not?

My daughter. We are planning a trip to Uganda and doing some investigations

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews