We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
613 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

It's my understand that there is a Kazinga Launch trip with the UWA on a large boat, and the Mweya Lodge on a smaller boat. We are not staying at the Lodge, but can we still book a spot on their boat? We would prefer going with a smaller group.

Are the launch times the same for both boats?

Also, can we book the Mweya boat at the Information Centre, or do we go to the Mweya Lodge to book? Thank you!

Kazinga Channel
Bodies of Water, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Katwe Tourism Information Centre
Hot Springs & Geysers, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Valleys, Volcanos
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Your understanding is correct. But Mweya have 2 boats. The small flat bottomed one, and the more luxurious motor boat Kingfisher. At the moment, they only have one boat pilot though. Contact Mweya direct to book, and do it well in advance, as they are often booked out solidly by various safari operators.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

even if you are not staying at the Lodge, you an book their boat in advance.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Personally I would not worry too much about which boat. I regularly use the UWA boat. It is larger and thus a more stable platform for photography and the UWA Guide is a brilliant narrator and a fount of knowledge on the birds as well as the Mammals. I hope she is on duty for our next visit. I am staying at Mweya Lodge but will most probably not use their boat.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Except the UWA boat is "ChugChugDieselCoughSplutter NOISY" and the others aren't. And I think if it's your first time to visit, it's helpful to explain the options!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Chug thump diesel over screaming shrieking Petrol job anyday!

Just my preference of course. Are we out there for the luxury ride or actually to see wildlife?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

I saw plenty of wildlife on the quiet, smooth boat.

In fairness - the UWA boat does have an upper deck that the others don't. Which is great for the photos. However, it gets very hot up top - so a hat and sunscreen are essential. They also don't like you being too many in number on one side...

I found that if you sat away from the engine, at the "bow" you couldn't hear the guide, and if you sat close to him, you still couldn't hear very well.

It's all down to personal choice as you say.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Two decks at Mweya is a new one on me. Two at Murchison. And great fun when too many on top.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

take one of the mweya boats but book in advance.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Oh I don't know for sure, I thought they were all the same (saw and heard it from a distance).

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,987 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Launch Trip w/UWA or Mweya Lodge?

Just like birds. No two alike!