We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

England, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

Is it considered safe to hire a self drive 4WD car and drive yourelf to QE National park? OR are the roads so difficult it would be better hiring a driver esp in the rainy season ( April) ?The standard tours to this park all seem to do exactly the same thing with no flexibility to stay longer. I want to get there, stay in a nice, comfy lodge and then decide what I want to do each day, not have it organised for me. Then drive back to Kampala taking around 5-6 days for the whole trip. We want to go in April which is rainy season? We do not have any other time when we can go? what are the probelms traveling in April please?

Any suggestions please? Thanks Julia

Uganda
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

The roads to Queen Elizabeth National Park are all good.The nice lodges include Jacana Safari Lodge, Mweya safari Lodge and newly opened kyambura game Lodge.

Where as Tour operators offer standardised itineraries for QENP,you can always request to extend the duration of the tour and they would respond to your requests.

Good Luck!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

We just got back from a Kampala-QENP road trip, and the roads on both the northern (via Mubende) and southern (via Mbarara) routes are undergoing a LOT of renovation, which is likely to continue well past April. It's very slow, bumpy and unpleasant driving for much of the way. (We went out by the south, and came back by the north; the north was better, except for the Kampala-Mityana stretch, which is brutal. It was seven hours either way, including a stop for coffee.)

You could do it yourself, but ... why? You can hire a driver for $15 a day -- he'll be happy to have the work and you can put your brain to more rewarding tasks than navigating a hundred km of traffic jams, potholes and construction work. Then, once you're up there, you can drive yourselves around the park, which is fun -- or let the driver do it while you hunt lions, or whatever.

Also -- you probably know that Uganda has the highest traffic fatality rate in the world. There's a lot of high-speed stupidity. (On this trip alone we saw a tractor-trailer literally upside down in a ditch along the side of the road, and near Mbarara a bicyclist who'd been killed by a hit-and-run driver.) And Kampala rush hour would reduce Arnold Schwarznegger to tears. It's not a bad idea to have somebody behind the wheel who knows the scene.

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

If you have never driven in Africa I would suggest that you hire a driver!

kampala
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

I totaly agree with the last two posts. The seven hour drive will take you longer if you drive yourself, not to speak of the hectic situations in Kampala and the dangers on the road. Take a driver and take over the wheels if and when you feel. I have met people who thought they would do the traject themself and lost the fun bit of it after 2 hours. Safety (thieves wise) no problem

The other option is to find a tour companies who will just hire you the car and driver. The advantage is that the driver will know the park and will act as a guide. You keep the flexibility and get their knowlodge and expertise. Spotting game is not always that easy. As April is low season i do not see a problem if you tell the company that you are not sure if it will be 5 or 6 days.

Uganda
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

You can take a bus to Kasese.Ask for James in Kasese on he usually hires out his landrover. Once in the town hire a car since there wont be much of highway to drive and then into the park.Once in the park hire a ranger at $20 and he'll show you all you need to know.Then you return to Kampala by bus.

John

6. Re: Kampala to Quuen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2010