We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

Arlington, VA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

I am traveling to Africa for my Honeymoon and plan to do a 4 days stop on Zanzibar, but we are debating whether it is better to stay on the beach or in Stonetown. We definitely want to be able to relax on the beach but we are also interested in touring Stonetown. Perhaps a hotel with access to both? How far the the beach resorts on the cost to Stonetown adn is it easy to travel between them? Any advice is appreciated.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

Dear Traveler,

I would devide my four days between one night in town and three nights on the beach if you really want to relax.

The most beautiful beaches are minumum 45 minutes drive from town and transport is expensive, or cheap but than it will take you more than 1,5 hours.

And Stone Town is absolutely amazing to visit. ( and for shopping)

It is like time stood still here when you see all these palaces of the former arabic traders.

Regards

A Zanzibar connaisseur

states
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

Hi. You can stay at Zanzibar Beach Resort. it is on south west coast of zanzibar. just 5 minutes drive from airport and 10mins drive from stone town.

Dakar, Senegal
Level Contributor
358 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

I would suggest the following:-

Serena Zanzibar is lovely for a honeymoon, its in Stonetown and offers access by the Hotels own transport to their private beach up the coast...its rooms are stunning and for such a short stay you neednot miss out on the unique streets of stonetown and the wonderful little antique shops and night market.

The hotel has some lovely rooms on the top floor (3rd) the rooms have a wrap around verandah and hammock...you must stress when you book its your honeymoon.

The beach club they own, has a beautiful private beach, with dhows to go sailing to nearby islands for snorkelling...its all high class..they donot offer accommodation there....its simply a beautiful spot and great place to eat....driving time is around 1hour...

If that doesn't suit..then option 2....stay at somewhere like Emerson & Green which is eclectic, and dinner on the roof top terrace unforgettable....and then take a taxi to Breezes Beach Hotel, which is classy and very nice for a honeymoon, or stay on the island owned by CCAfrica...its very chic...

depends on your budget...but certainly 4days isn't long enough to enjoy this stunning island.

Congratulations on your wedding, I hope your African experience will be wonderful.

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

Hi

Stone Town is definitely worth a visit, although depending on what your doing prior to arrival I would be tempted to head out to the beach straight away. - After all it is a Honeymoon.

The best beaches are along the East coast, as they are protected by an off shore reef. Here you will be able to find hotels and guest houses to suit all tastes and budgets.

If you wanted a trip to Stone Town it can be done in a day. From the East coast it will take about 40 mins or so and will cost around $40 - $50 (each way in a private car) but its a nice drive through villages etc so it will seem shorter.

Regards

5. Re: Where to stay - Beach or Stone Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 17, 2009